Talk

Advanced search

Transmission in men's toilets

(12 Posts)
DianaT1969 Fri 24-Apr-20 08:01:30

This is one of the more bonkers threads I've written😳. I just read that it is transferred in urine. Could the reason men are affected more than women be due to men touching taps and doors in men's bathrooms after a wee? Women use toilet paper before touching taps. As I'm not a man, I'm not sure if they get a couple of drops of wee on hands, or trace amounts. Sorry for the slightly gross thread!
Either way, if men are currently using public bathrooms they could be told to use anti-viral disinfectant wipes on taps first. Making motion sensor taps and doors standard in all public bathrooms could help. Especially the men's bathrooms for supermarket and hospital staff.

dementedpixie Fri 24-Apr-20 10:08:41

It didnt say it was transmitted in urine, just that is was present. There must be more to it than bad hygiene habits. Its more likely to so with hormones and immune system differences

JustAnotherPoster00 Fri 24-Apr-20 10:35:00

As far as Im aware men dont urinate on their hands hmm

Aposterhasnoname Fri 24-Apr-20 10:37:27

As far as Im aware men dont urinate on their hands

People don’t shit on them either, yet there’s traces of fecal matter on hands after using the toilet.

Humina Fri 24-Apr-20 10:38:48

Men are less likely to wash their hands in general, I believe. Even after all the hand washing publicity. Grim.

There is a faecal-oral route to infection, I believe. If they aren't washing their hands (or even if they do), I guess they are more likely to pick it up from other men in the scenario you present.

DippyAvocado Fri 24-Apr-20 10:40:13

The theory I read is that men are affected worse because the X-chromosome supports the function of the immune system better and women have two while men only have one. This is apparently the reasoning behind man-flu too!

JoeBidensDisintegratingBrain Fri 24-Apr-20 10:41:32

I'd be extremely surprised if a significant amount of transmissions are occurring this way.

dementedpixie Fri 24-Apr-20 10:41:39

I thought men and women were infected equally but men had worse outcomes? This would make it unlikely that a difference is made by using mens toilets

TheSandman Fri 24-Apr-20 10:57:52

I'm a man and spent all of last summer working as a toilet attendant in both men's and women's toilets.

From my observations women wash their hands (touch the taps) more often than men. Men will often pee and leave.

The possibility of microscopic amounts (and that's all we're talking about here) or urine getting onto the hands of men while peeing would I imagine be greater for men.

Women don't generally (I imagine) keep their hands near (or in) the toilet bowl while peeing. Men, unless they are extremely confident, tend to hold onto their equipment while they pee, out of the stream obviously, but nearer any splashes that may happen. Urinals are by their nature more open and would let any splashes travel further than toilet pans - they don't have a bum plugging up most of the opening either.

I never touch public bathroom doors. Going in I use an elbow to push the door. Going out I wait till someone comes in an opens the door.

DianaT1969 Fri 24-Apr-20 12:13:42

@Thesandman - thanks, that's useful to hear an informed opinion. As a poster said, we don't know if it can be transmitted through urine. Just present. I haven't seen if equal numbers of men and women are infected yet, but it's skewed in the UK by only testing those who present themselves at hospital for treatment. More random batch testing will answer the equal infection question.

DuLANGDuLANGDuLANG Fri 24-Apr-20 12:58:14

I think it’s more likely to be related to the y chromosome (lots of immune related stuff on the x and female fetuses have two to pick the best bits from) but I expect hygiene and risk taking also have something to do with it.

Wingedharpy Fri 24-Apr-20 14:03:03

I'm sure that attitude to hygiene must play a part.
What men think they do and what they actually do are not necessarily one and the same.😉

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »