Talk

Advanced search

Job loss... anyone else?

(9 Posts)
MsChatterbox Thu 23-Apr-20 17:01:33

No unfortunately he chose the worst time to start a new job which was after the cut off date!!! Very unlucky there. But I'm trying to look at it positively that now we are able to self isolate and avoid me catching it. Sorry that you've been thrown into this position.. Job loss is just devastating. It will be better again one day!

BirdieFriendReturns Thu 23-Apr-20 16:50:09

The only jobs being adversed here are for care workers or hospital cleaners.

Whitney101 Thu 23-Apr-20 16:20:57

Oh MsChatterbox that’s not what you want in pregnancy 😔 fingers crossed his business reopens. No furlough money there?!

OP’s posts: |
Whitney101 Thu 23-Apr-20 16:19:46

Oh crikey, that much competition for supermarket work 😬 he’s working this week so we haven’t got that far yet.

I think if I thought the job market was going to pick up in a couple of months then even that might make me feel better. It’s all so unprecedented!

You have lots and lots of sympathy from me, this is just awful.

MsChatterbox Thu 23-Apr-20 16:17:34

Similar position, husband sent home unpaid until business opens up again but who knows when that will be. I'm a sahm and currently pregnant. We are going to be relying on UC for the foreseeable future!

thismeansnothing Thu 23-Apr-20 16:16:13

Yup. I was supposed to return to work on 1st April after mat leave but was made redundant Instead. You have my sympathies. The job market isn't great. I queued for 3 hours at a recruitment event for a supermarket in my local town along with 200 odd other people for just 10 or so positions. That came to nothing. Even warehouse work is attracting tons of applicants so I've got no where. Its so competitive.

Likethebattle Thu 23-Apr-20 16:15:39

DH on a temp contract as his recruitment for a new job was put on hold. This ends in June and then we need to survive on his savings and my wage.

EachDubh Thu 23-Apr-20 16:13:31

Of course thwre should be sympathy about. Job loss is so stressful. I am sorry you are going through this, especialy on maternity leave when money is often tight anyway. What did your husband do? Hopefullybhe will find sonething else soon. Take care, there will be many people feeling like you through no fault of their own. 😞

Whitney101 Thu 23-Apr-20 15:50:23

DH has lost his job. I’m on mat leave. Biggest panic is when he’ll work again. Everyone has there own stuff going on so there isn’t a lot of sympathy around, I don’t particularly want it, just need to talk about it I think. Anyone else in a similar boat?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in