Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone still believe this is a conspiracy?

(10 Posts)
Emcont Thu 23-Apr-20 07:19:56

I joined a Covid-19 group on fb weeks ago, just for general updates and info.

But it's quickly turned from a good group of info to a 'it isn't even a pandemic, the hospitals are empty'

I know there was a thread on here about conspiracies, so just curious if those who thought it was/wasn't have changed their minds?

TartanTexan Thu 23-Apr-20 07:26:13

I am seeing those I wouldn’t expect, smart educated, beginning to move into conspiracy territory.

Spanish flu could kill you in minutes/hours imagine if we were facing that now with air travel etc or even a virus with a higher death rate...no one thought that was a conspiracy, or did they?

Ginfordinner Thu 23-Apr-20 07:31:44

The hospitals are less busy with non covid patients. I had an emergency yesterday and had to be seen. Most of the nurses were sitting around with nothing to do.

One of my friends is an anaesthetist and says that his hospital isn't busy. The nightingale hospital in London has hardly any patients, and apparently the new one in Harrogate might not get round to being used.

Emcont Thu 23-Apr-20 07:33:12

I did see that apparently the Nightingale one only has 40/4000 patients?!

MyOtherProfile Thu 23-Apr-20 07:35:20

Of course hospitals aren't busy. They're keeping people away in order to prevent spread. That doesn't mean we don't have frightening stats re infection and death. It just means people are doing something about it.

BovaryX Thu 23-Apr-20 07:45:08

Of course hospitals aren't busy. They're keeping people away in order to prevent spread

What about the cancelled cancer treatments? What about the cancelled appointments which may diagnose cancer? What about people with secondary complications due to diabetes? What about the people who are struggling to breathe and are being told not to visit a hospital? The NHS is less busy than usual because it is failing to treat patients. When treating patients is its raison d'etre. Something very dysfunctional going on. Drowned out by the banging of post and pans.

DavidSplatt Thu 23-Apr-20 07:47:07

Oh my goodness. What twaddle.

A conspiracy theory???

It would be laughable if it wasn't so bad

Emcont Thu 23-Apr-20 07:57:07

I heard on the news yesterday about a young woman who had an abnormal smear and her appointment was cancelled and pushed back to mid July! sad

MyOtherProfile Thu 23-Apr-20 08:21:13

What about the cancelled cancer treatments?
Yes that's all a bit rubbish. Hard to get the balance right between stopping spread and treating the sick, I'm sure.

dogsdinnerlady Thu 23-Apr-20 08:25:29

'Smart, educated people' don't use Facebook as their main source of news.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »