Talk

Advanced search

CV19 was released from lab?

(117 Posts)
Polly02 Tue 21-Apr-20 18:34:55

This was talked about on Newsnight yesterday. There are top scientists that are sure that Covid 19 was in fact released from a lab (accidentally) and not through the wet markets.

I can't find this anywhere other than hearing it on Newsnight. Has anyone read this anywhere else recently?

Not the previous conspiracy theories.

OP’s posts: |
pocketem Tue 21-Apr-20 18:37:45

FFS. Stop spreading Facebook boomer conspiracy theories.

Gluestick80 Tue 21-Apr-20 18:38:35

hmm

CarpeVitam Tue 21-Apr-20 18:40:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GindependantWoman Tue 21-Apr-20 18:43:12

There was an article in the sun that had a click bait title about it being created in a lab but if you read the article it was clear that this is not a theory anyone is taking seriously.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11407987/coronavirus-developed-wuhan-lab-china-greater-us-disease/?utmcampaign=sunmainfacebook&utmm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1587017486

goingoverground Tue 21-Apr-20 19:04:57

I'm not sure why you are getting such a hard time @Polly02

Yes, I read this last week. I can't remember where but it would have been one of the UK or US broadsheets, news magazines or a scientific/medical journal. I haven't read anything else recently apart from Mumsnet!

It's not implausible to consider whether patient zero was a worker at the virology lab in Wuhan, which has been researching bat coronaviruses and has been criticised for issues with safety recently. It's no less credible a theory than patient zero having been infected at a wet market.

Nobody (credible) is suggesting that the virus was deliberately released or that it was genetically engineered as a bioweapon (we have the genome, we know that isn't true).

Polly02 Tue 21-Apr-20 19:53:04

Yes, it was definitely on Newsnight last night. If I can find a link to it on Twitter later I’ll post it.

They said that this is believed by some top scientists to be a man made disease. In Wuhan, very near to the markets, are labs where they’ve been testing Coronaviruses due to SARS etc. It’s believed to have been released by mistake.

I don’t care if people give me a hard time. This is interesting and can be discussed if others have further information.

Ratoncita Tue 21-Apr-20 19:54:07

biscuit

UtterlyUnimaginativeUsername Tue 21-Apr-20 19:56:44

There may be some truth in the 'released from a lab' theory but as far as I've read, it's not thought to be manmade by anyone with any credibility.

TooSadToSay Tue 21-Apr-20 19:58:13

If 20 miles is "very near" then perhaps you're on to something?! There's no proof yet and a theory like that would really need some to substantiate it.

DartmoorChef Tue 21-Apr-20 19:59:09

Let's be honest, there's a good chance China have covered up a lot of things.. This really wouldn't surprise me.

Polly02 Tue 21-Apr-20 20:01:38

Sorry, by man made I think they just meant that it had been ‘created’ in a lab for research purposes.

user764329056 Tue 21-Apr-20 20:01:46

I agree this is a distinct possibility and we’ll never know the truth as it’s China

itsgettingweird Tue 21-Apr-20 20:01:51

I read somewhere the other day it had been theorised that a woman working in the lab infected her boyfriend having contracted it by mistake and he then went to the wet market.

The lab is 8 miles from the market.

It's not man made - that's been proved. But that doesn't mean it didn't originate form the lab.

WilmaPantry Tue 21-Apr-20 20:02:12

Reported.
have a biscuit

Bagelsandbrie Tue 21-Apr-20 20:02:54

Only on Mumsnet do people get so irate at the suggestion of this. Credible people have been talking about this for a long time now. I don’t know why people are so surprised to think this is what might have happened.

NoParticularPattern Tue 21-Apr-20 20:04:52

How have you managed not to have heard of it other than news night? It’s been literally everywhere. See also; Spread by 5G, “ethnic cleansing”, saving states mega bucks on pensions..... etc

Lovemusic33 Tue 21-Apr-20 20:05:15

I have said this all along (but not to too many people).

I have seen it mentioned several times this past week in the bbc website. I don’t really understand why people don’t believe that it’s a possibility?

The80sweregreat Tue 21-Apr-20 20:05:54

I did read that corona virus was about in the 1950s.
However it started it's caused havoc.

EdwynCollins Tue 21-Apr-20 20:06:32

The OP is discussing something that was on Newsnight. It's hardly spreading gossip if it was on TV
It's not like she's spreading what Bob on FB said

itsgettingweird Tue 21-Apr-20 20:07:49

Exactly love it's just discussing it's a possibility. Why people can't see it's as possible as a bat infecting a pangolin that infected a human that caused a globally pandemic - I don't know?

The biggest issue is that our democratic countries out too much trust in the autocratic ones. The one who has 6 people missing who spoke out ........ hmm

Thighmageddon Tue 21-Apr-20 20:08:47

I'm as far from a conspiracy theorist as you could be but I'm now starting to think that this virus was released accidentally by the lab. Reading the data and timelines is quite compelling even though my brain is trying to resist.

Viviennemary Tue 21-Apr-20 20:09:21

I think it's very possible. If not highly likely.

HappyHammy Tue 21-Apr-20 20:09:22

How did it spread from a wet market. How did it jump from an animal to a human if its airborne.

Bagelsandbrie Tue 21-Apr-20 20:09:50

www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52318539

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »