Talk

Advanced search

Excellent article that looks at why people can die very quickly , often without breathing difficulties. Get yourself an oximeter if you can.

(8 Posts)
ihatethecold Tue 21-Apr-20 11:56:50

www.nytimes.com/2020/04/20/opinion/coronavirus-testing-pneumonia.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

On the advice of my Dr friend I bought an Oximeter a month ago due to having asthma. She said this is the best way of knowing how well my lungs are coping if I become unwell.

OP’s posts: |
Wildernesstips Tue 21-Apr-20 12:47:06

That’s really interesting.

I had pneumonia 6 years ago initially without realising it. No chest pain. But quite sudden breathlessness after feeling poorly and by the time I went to A&E went straight into ITU on a ventilator. Had been in work the previous day!

Orchardgreen Tue 21-Apr-20 12:53:19

You need to understand the haemoglobin-oxygen dissociation curve to interpret the readings.

Lycidas Tue 21-Apr-20 12:58:03

It’s worth pointing out that most of the new generation Samsung Galaxy and Note phones also have a pulse oximeter on the back.

ForestDad Tue 21-Apr-20 13:04:29

@Orchardgreen maybe but higher is better... And when you call 111 / GP / 999 you can tell them what the reading is so even if you feel generally not too bad you might not be. And they can use it to decide whether to send an ambulance for you. And then hopefully you won't be one of the people not in a "risk" category who are told to stay at home and then die.

dollface19 Tue 21-Apr-20 13:07:16

Where did you get yours please x

Peridot1 Tue 21-Apr-20 13:17:08

Really interesting article. Thanks for sharing.

ihatethecold Tue 21-Apr-20 13:21:26

I bought my oximeter from eBay a while ago for £12. I think they may be more expensive now due to demand.

GP's still have access to buy them direct if you have a Dr that would want you to monitor yourself if need be.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in