Talk

Advanced search

PPE & 7 day self-isolate public guidance

(5 Posts)
AyeRobot Mon 20-Apr-20 19:30:58

I posted this on another thread but I think it might get lost.

There's something I don't understand about PPE and I'm sure it's because I'm missing something. And I must say that if I were front line ICU staff I would be much happier with full on PPE, so I totally get the demand. But...

Guidelines say that we all have to self isolate for 7 days after symptoms start. Hospitalisation due to Covid usually happens after day 10 (or later). So, how are the general public allowed out after 7 days but ICU staff treating patients who are more than 7 days on need full on PPE such that we now have a major crisis of supply?

OP’s posts: |
midgebabe Mon 20-Apr-20 19:34:04

Because it's 7 days, and more if your symptoms continue?

PigInASlanket Mon 20-Apr-20 19:37:56

My understanding was that the self isolation only ends if your symptoms have resolved, apart from a cough which can take much longer to go.

AyeRobot Mon 20-Apr-20 19:42:35

Doh!

From the NHS website :

"if you still have a high temperature, keep self-isolating until your temperature returns to normal

You do not need to self-isolate if you just have a cough after 7 days. A cough can last for several weeks after the infection has gone."

Thing is, I know 2 people who went out after the 7 days because they felt up to it neither having a cough anyway (and didn't have a thermometer in the house - do many people without kids have one?!) and both ended up in hospital a week later. One died.

It just seems a bit wishy washy advice if one is still so infectious after 7 day's such that extensive PPE is required?

AyeRobot Mon 20-Apr-20 19:49:42

I do think people have taken the message as "7 days with symptoms, 14 days if someone you've been in contact with has symptoms".

Hmm. I listen to the radio a lot & there was definitely not a big fat 7 DAYS UNLESS YOU STILL HAVE A TEMPERATURE.

(and I meant days - I hate it when autocorrect is really shit at grammar)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »