Talk

Advanced search

Predictions for gyms opening?

(8 Posts)
stressedmum95 Mon 20-Apr-20 13:49:17

I know nobody knows for sure but I was just pondering this morning when tidying up my drawer with my gym kit in.

I haven't really given the gym a thought since it closed but only realised this morning how much I am missing it! Not the actual gym part as that kills me but I miss the people I know from there, I miss a sneaky coffee and chat with the bar staff, my children miss their friends at swimming lessons etc

It's the one thing I never thought I would me missing as I'm not a typical gym type person (if there is a thing 🤔) but it seems like another part of my old life I really took for granted.

What would be predictions for them opening again do you think? I suppose even if the gym floor opens with social distancing the children might still not get to use the kids club or pool as they can't be trusted to social distance.

OP’s posts: |
megletthesecond Mon 20-Apr-20 13:52:26

Ages. Next spring.

Kazzyhoward Mon 20-Apr-20 13:55:05

Probably one of the last types of place to be allowed to reopen. It'll be essentials first. Recreational places will be way down the list, especially if social distancing isn't going to be easy in them!

Not sure how viable they'll be if people need to stay 2 metres apart and then you'll need staff constantly wiping down the equipment. Fewer people allowed in and more staff may mean they're not viable to reopen even if allowed for the duration.

megletthesecond Mon 20-Apr-20 13:59:41

I do wonder if they'll start running some outdoor classes instead. Everyone in weights gloves and equipment to be washed down after use.
Obviously this will be great in the torrential rain of a UK winter hmm.

puffinandkoala Mon 20-Apr-20 14:03:01

Goodness knows. I was thinking about the swimming pools last night. Other than having one person per lane how do you do social distancing with swimming lessons. There are usually around 4 in a lane in my lessons and the kids and swimming clubs have 6.

VenusOfWillendorf Mon 20-Apr-20 14:08:09

Swimming pools have chlorine which kills viruses, so that in itself is fine, but the changing rooms - not so much!
I think gyms will be pretty slow to open - but my sisters gym is doing zoom classes, which she's finding to be good fun (if you like that kind of thing!)

stressedmum95 Mon 20-Apr-20 14:11:46

I just can't get motivated to do the virtual classes my gym is doing.

I'd never realised before how much time we spent at the gym and how much we all enjoyed different parts of it.

I see from that traffic light exit strategy doing the rounds on Facebook they predict they will open the 15th June but that seems so early for a place already crawling with germs.

OP’s posts: |
Orangeblossom78 Mon 20-Apr-20 14:47:33

Ours emailed us (council run) to say things like they are opening as food distribution hubs and the like, so not for a long time I think. I'm really missing swimming.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »