Advanced search

Private music lessons now online - can I cancel?

(5 Posts)
ExtraCorona Mon 20-Apr-20 13:29:59

Anyone know the legal position etc? Essentially private singing lessons paid for by the term, most of last term in person, last lessons were not great because online, so don't want to continue this term as it's a different product essentially, and not really worth £20/half hour, as also exams now won't be possible next term. DD is leaving the school where the lessons take place so may not have any relationship going forward with the teacher anyway.

OP’s posts: |
ExtraCorona Mon 20-Apr-20 13:30:59

i.e. this term has not been paid for yet, so just advise teacher 'sorry we don't want to spend money on this'.

OP’s posts: |
MereDintofPandiculation Mon 20-Apr-20 14:26:30

If you can afford to pay it, that would be the decent thing to do. Musicians are finding life particularly tough at the moment,

If you can't afford it, then obviously look at the legal position.

mindutopia Mon 20-Apr-20 14:28:25

I can't see why you can't just say, sorry, we don't want to sign up this term (assuming you haven't signed a contract to say you'll pay). Even if you did, I can't imagine there aren't lots of reasons why that wouldn't work: you working from home means laptop unavailable for singing lessons at that time, broadband use won't support video calling given others in the household using it, etc. I think most people who run small businesses do realise that they have to be flexible right now. People who could commit to an activity face to face may just not be able to arrange it for their children in a virtual format. We certainly have lost business because events have been cancelled, but you get creative and find a way. I suspect that where some students may not want to continue to take online classes, others will be looking for online classes to fill their days at home.

I'm currently trying to get money back from an afterschool class we signed up for. It's now cancelled for the first half of the summer term, but they now want to hold it in the second half of the summer term instead. We're moving home (hopefully) and changing schools, so even if schools were to open then, we will live in a different county. Presently, the owner appears to be just ignoring my emails though.... hmm

LilacTree1 Mon 20-Apr-20 14:40:45

If there’s no contractual obligation, I’d just say no.

I suppose it depends on your £ position but most of us aren’t really in position to help anyone else out. This is “all in the same boat” really means.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »