Talk

Advanced search

Worried about someone alone living with anxiety & depression

(4 Posts)
Littlemiss74 Sun 19-Apr-20 20:31:58

I am very worried about my friend. He suffers with anxiety & depression ever since coming out of a bad relationship. His teenage son lives with him in his flat but the boy spends most of his time in his room playing xbox. He may aswell be living on his own really.

My friend has spoken to me about his anxiety (esp. health anxiety) in the past but I think this virus has caused a big flare up of it. He messaged me the other day to say he was self isolating as had woken up in a sweat and felt hot. He also said though that they symptoms were similar to that of anxiety that he had felt before.
I had a good talk with him and tried to offer some practical advice like get a thermometer and phone GP for some anxiety meds which could help (had them myself so I know they can help).

I checked on him every day last week to see how he was and he said he has had no more virus symptoms and he is pretty sure his symptoms are anxiety and that he is just going to try and be positive.

I can’t help but worry about him. I’m finding lockdown hard enough but at least I have my garden to sit in and my family to keep me busy and to talk to.

He seems so down and all the talk of mental health makes me so scared that he may just sink really low and no-one would necessarily know.
He is still wfh but I don’t think he would tell his boss about his feelings.

I just wondered if anyone had any advice as I can’t stop thinking about him hoping he’s ok but I don’t really know what else I can say. I have made several suggestions but I just think he’s all alone with his thoughts.

OP’s posts: |
Marphise Sun 19-Apr-20 20:44:06

Well, you can call him everyday to check on him, so he sees that someone out there cares. Let him see you're there for him if he wants to talk.

Aside from that there isn't much you can do. He is the one who can reach out for help when and if he feels he needs it.

Littlemiss74 Sun 19-Apr-20 20:50:52

Thank you. I have been messaging him every day and I also sent him a link to some stuff about looking after your mental health during the coronavirus & he thanked me. I just keeping hearing about how men don’t talk🙁
I thought I might message one or two of his close male friends and ask them to keep in regular contact as I don’t think they are aware of his anxiety issues.

This bloody virus has a lot to answer for. It must be hell living on your own with health anxiety with all this going on. I also told him not to watch the news!

OP’s posts: |
Noooblerooble Sun 19-Apr-20 21:52:57

I think you're amazing checking in on him so much. I think that's all you can do right now. A lot of people are very vulnerable. If you can talk to him about some plan to meet up when restrictions ease, that will help. Get him to focus on a future happy moment to give him something to aim for. It can be something simple.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »