Talk

Advanced search

To take in my nephew.

(11 Posts)
Greggers2017 Sun 19-Apr-20 16:43:13

My nephew is 13. My sister has always had severe mental health issues but at the current moment she is struggling and can not provide DN with the support and guidanec he needs. She needs to focus on his needs.
Would I be unfair to let him move into our home to support both him and my sister. We have a bedroom for him.
That was my sister can focus on herself.
He gets on well with my other children and is at the same school as dd and dsd.

OP’s posts: |
NuffSaidSam Sun 19-Apr-20 16:53:31

Seems like a no-brainer?

Why would you not do anything this?

LilyPond2 Sun 19-Apr-20 16:53:51

Does anyone in your family have health issues that make them particularly vulnerable if they get COVID-19?

To what extent do you think you sister's household have been adhering to social distancing guidelines? Not going out at all? Going out only for shopping and (socially distanced) exercise? Or your nephew regularly meeting up with groups of mates because your sister is not exerting any control?

Will your sister be living alone if your nephew comes to live with you? Do you think that will actually be better for her mental health than having your nephew there?

NuffSaidSam Sun 19-Apr-20 16:54:24

I don't where that random 'anything' came from! I just meant why would you not do this? Sounds like a good plan.

LetMeOutOfHere Sun 19-Apr-20 16:54:32

Yes, absolutely I would

Greggers2017 Sun 19-Apr-20 17:23:43

No we don't have any conditions. DP And I are both keyworkers, sharing office and home working to juggle the kids. The reason he can't go to my parents is due to them having my brother there who is high risk.
My nephew hasn't been anywhere other than a walk with my sister for 4 weeks. She hasn't let him meet mates and he wouldn't as he's very sensible.
Sister will just have more time to focus on herself. Which o think is neeeded.

LEELULUMPKIN Sun 19-Apr-20 17:25:59

In a heartbeat OP. I did it for my Dsis and he stayed 3 years! We are extremely close now and it turned a very stressful situation into a very happy time for all of us.

LilyPond2 Sun 19-Apr-20 17:32:00

In the circumstances, it sounds like having your nephew come and live with you would make a lot of sense, assuming he is happy with that.

Greggers2017 Sun 19-Apr-20 19:57:29

@LilyPond2 he seems happy with it. We don't live far away and are his closest family. We see each other often on normal tones.

RomeoLikedCapuletGirls Sun 19-Apr-20 20:01:26

It sounds like he would have a much nicer time with you and his cousins. He’s very lucky to have such a caring aunt. If your sis is ok with it I say do it.

Marphise Sun 19-Apr-20 20:34:03

Agree with everyone else, of course you should do this if you think your sister will benefit. And it sounds like it'd be nice for your nephew to be able to play with his cousins.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »