Talk

Advanced search

BOOTS CHEMIST one person at a time allowed into store

(45 Posts)
justasking111 Sun 19-Apr-20 13:23:11

I was a bit puzzled why Boots are only allowing one person into store at a time yesterday, when I finally got in there saw there were three aisles to queue in with arrows etc. I had sent my GP details as to why I needed to see them, but being in pain decided to go to chemist for something to keep me going until gp got back to me having filled in this online form that took some time, I have been told they will be contacting me by 6.30pm on Tuesday if they dont phone them which is how we did it before lock down. confused

Is this a national thing, coz this is my first visit to chemist since before lock down.

OP’s posts: |
ineedaholidaynow Sun 19-Apr-20 13:28:34

How big a store is it? Our local Boots limit is 4 I think (Lloyds is 2). The markings may have been put down before official lockdown came into force. Or they may have found having more people in just wasn't working so have now limited it to one.

alltripe Sun 19-Apr-20 13:28:59

So that they can maintain social distancing. They have to deal with some people that will find it hard to stick to the rules (the methadone folk).

justasking111 Sun 19-Apr-20 13:33:09

Ah the methadone folk have to go to another Boots, which is a pain for the newsagent opposite which has been robbed a few times. They shoplift sugar and sweeteners apparently, the really bad ones come in with threats to staff to empty tills waving knives around.

It seems chemists are more aware to customers than supermarkets then which allow more in. My local co-op a very small store allows seven folk in.

Pelleas Sun 19-Apr-20 13:37:09

I am guessing large store chains will have received directives from their health and safety people on how many to let into each store, based on floor space and layout.

JanewaysBun Sun 19-Apr-20 13:37:37

My large local boots allows 3 people in. Only allowed to buy mediciene/vitamins etc I.e. you can't buy hair dye or make-up!

Assume You can buy baby stuff (not sure about clothes). Not sure 're shampoo etc as I only needed abidec.

HandfulOfFlowers Sun 19-Apr-20 13:39:51

It's 6 at a time in my local one. It's quite big though, so probably the limit is in line with the floorspace and number of self service tills.

ineedaholidaynow Sun 19-Apr-20 13:40:02

When I went into Lloyds the other day I had to stand on a marked spot, not allowed to walk round the shop, and then tell the assistant what I wanted. It was medication for a neighbour, so not sure whether there would be restriction on what you can buy.

TheGreatWave Sun 19-Apr-20 13:40:30

Our local chemist is only allowing one in, the queues are massive, I have no idea why everything seems to take so long. You would have thought that by now they would have an effective system but evidently not.

ProfYaffle Sun 19-Apr-20 13:45:04

Ours is one at a time but it's tiny, really difficult to social distance properly. The queue is outside on the pavement and they're only selling medicines, no toiletries at all.

Spidey66 Sun 19-Apr-20 13:45:59

It probably depends on the size of the shop. I was in my local one and it was probably about 10 but it's a large branch.

They did have large bits taped off, e.g. makeup, electrical goods, photos. You were able to access essentials e.g. toiletries, medicines and prescriptions and baby are. They do sell baby clothes and toys but I'm not sure if you were able to access that bit as opposed to nappies, milk etc

Spidey66 Sun 19-Apr-20 13:46:33

*care, not are.

justasking111 Sun 19-Apr-20 13:48:02

I read somewhere else on here that if you needed meds. at super drug you could still buy other things whilst you were in the store. Do not know if that is still the case.

PickAChew Sun 19-Apr-20 13:48:28

I bought toiletries at our town centre store, yesterday. They were only allowing one person in at a time, but it's a small store with narrow aisles.

lljkk Sun 19-Apr-20 13:49:59

Small one in Cromer (seemed to) only allowed one customer in at a time. And then you had to stand at a spot near the till while the staff went to find what you want. Kind'a weird.

MabelMoo23 Sun 19-Apr-20 13:52:32

My local one which is fairly small is only allowing one at a time. I was allowed in to buy sunscreen for my children (last weekend when it was really hot) and hay fever tablets

I appreciate I could’ve got them from a supermarket but they were queuing out the door and I didn’t feel it was fair to add yet another person to the queue

Imboredinthehouse Sun 19-Apr-20 14:00:00

Massive boots near us. I was picking prescription up Friday & there was nothing about a limit.

Local chemist which is tiny says 3 people.

pigsDOfly Sun 19-Apr-20 14:00:28

Last time I was in Boots to pick up medication, when I finally got in the shop, after queuing for over 1.5 hours there were three people in the fairly small shop.

I ended up standing in there for about 20 minutes as they seemed to have lost my prescription. This was the second time I'd had to queue for the same prescription.

I now have another prescription to pick up. Went there on Friday, massively long queue so decided I would go back on Monday as had to go to Tesco as well on Friday and couldn't face standing in two long queues on the same day.

I was amused to see who many face creams they had on half price offer, but apparently you can't buy them.

WoollyMollyMonkey Sun 19-Apr-20 14:01:48

Staff in our local pharmacy are all gowned, gloved and masked. I found that a bit OTT.

Knotaknitter Sun 19-Apr-20 14:03:28

When I went to the chemist last week, no-one was allowed in. They have a perspex hatch at the door, you say what you want and they fetch it.

funandlaughter Sun 19-Apr-20 14:09:29

Yeah it's well OTT that people in pharmacy still have to work and protect themselves from catching the virus..

Idiot.

Gingerkittykat Sun 19-Apr-20 14:10:01

I pick up meds weekly from my small local pharmacy which allows two people in.

Each customer can take ages, especially if they are filling a prescription and having it checked. It makes sense to have that person be standing to the side while they serve someone else.

bumblingbovine49 Sun 19-Apr-20 14:24:25

I go.to my local small pharmacy. They allow one person in as well but there is more than 1-2 people outside waiting and they sell you whatever is on their shelves. Obviously less choice than boots for toiletries and make up etc but they have most other medical stuff
Much much less stressful than boots

hiredandsqueak Sun 19-Apr-20 14:25:56

Our local Boots pharmacy are allowing nobody in. The assistant takes your card and order at the door goes and fetches it and brings it out to you. Not quite worked out why, if no one is allowed in, they are closing periodically throughout the day for an hour at a time for cleaning? confused

BayandBlonde Sun 19-Apr-20 14:26:08

Our large boots is only letting one person in a time. Everything can be purchased except perfume and make up.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »