Advanced search

Holiday booked for Dec 27th. Advice please

(5 Posts)
rookiemere Sat 18-Apr-20 11:52:30

Honestly unless you'd had the foresight to get really good insurance you'd be amazed how little you would have got back. I thought ours was a decent policy, but didn't appreciate that the excess was per person not per trip. I'm determined that I'll get back a hotel deposit ( minus the hefty excess) but for the rest of our trips - I'd booked a few breaks as big birthday year - I doubt I'll see a penny.

Therefore capping your losses at £150 might be a sensible option.

annie987 Sat 18-Apr-20 09:58:32

That’s true.
We have paid the full deposit - the £150 each is the deposit in full.
The next payment aren’t until September so I guess I have nothing further to lose by
waiting Until then to make a decision.
I could kick myself for not getting insurance when we initially booked but I normally get it when I pay the first amount of money and had no reason to believe that this year would be any different.

OP’s posts: |
rookiemere Sat 18-Apr-20 08:05:51

I think the worrying thing about end of year is that some flights will be available but you might have to self isolate when you get there and home, but the holiday companies won't pay for cancellation if the flights are running.

rookiemere Sat 18-Apr-20 08:02:29

I wouldn't worry about having no travel insurance. I do and it's still a nightmare trying to get a penny from them even though I added disruption insurance on before this all kicked off.

You need to check the T&Cs for your booking and check if you can genuinely walk away without being liable for any more of the deposit. It may be that you are still liable for a further amount- people in other threads think people might get away without paying that but it's a bit of a gamble.

annie987 Sat 18-Apr-20 07:46:42

We booked a week in Spain for new year. We booked it last year with TUI. We’ve only paid £150 each so far.
We haven’t got travel insurance yet as we normally get it when we pay the deposit (it was a no deposit scheme on initial booking last year and then the deposit had to be paid end of March (we signed for this so had to pay it. Even to cancel at that point we had to pay the deposit) but the travel insurance companies weren’t selling new policies.

Do I cancel now and lose a minimal amount of money?
Hope against hope we might be able to go?
Keep paying and see what happens?

Also do I but travel insurance now even though they all stipulate no Covid 19 cover?


OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in