Talk

Advanced search

The resurgence of the dinner party

(12 Posts)
mumchkin Fri 17-Apr-20 20:56:49

Trying to be positive... I had a thought. Once they lift the lockdown, which I think they will do eventually but slowly... I don't think restaurants or pubs will be open for a good 6 months, but they may allow small gatherings of 5-6 people... we may see a resurgence of the dinner party. Just image how fun that will be. My parents always have great stories of the 70's/80's dinner party era. Maybe we'll all learn to play Canasta or something... what do you think?

OP’s posts: |
Purple54 Fri 17-Apr-20 21:00:50

Well I do like staying at home, so I’d be up for that.
Don’t think the car keys in a bowl game would take off yet in this climate though (2 metres ?) 😂

WinterIsGone Fri 17-Apr-20 21:19:28

I remember helping my DM making individual glasses of syllabub in the 1960s, and frosting the lips with lemon juice and sugar grin I was only about six, and was so disappointed at being sent to bed before the guests came round!

ofwarren Fri 17-Apr-20 21:29:53

Urgh I hope not.
I really really hate dinner parties.

mumchkin Fri 17-Apr-20 21:35:31

Why ofwarren? Im not sure i particularly love them. But i can't stop thinking about seeing friends and planning out all the details. Dinner party would be a good place for that I think. Might even do some syllabub -hee

OP’s posts: |
AbsentmindedWoman Fri 17-Apr-20 21:46:22

I would love this!

PicsInRed Fri 17-Apr-20 22:27:35

I'm sure it was a gas for the men, who didn't have to do all the tremendous amount of work involved in hosting one of these.

Fuck that. 😂

LEELULUMPKIN Fri 17-Apr-20 22:30:03

Kill me now.

LittleMissLumpy Fri 17-Apr-20 22:32:07

I think I might enjoy that!

LalalalalaLlama Fri 17-Apr-20 22:32:08

What do you mean resurgence? I do dinner parties all the time and I'm a millennial. No money to go to restaurants! I love them! Complete with table games!

ofwarren Fri 17-Apr-20 22:35:51

@mumchkin
It's all a bit forced I find.
I prefer the restaurant where I'm paying for the service and there are certain expectations.
I just can't relax in the same way in someone's house and I certainly wouldn't relax if I had to host one.
It's just not my thing. Each to their own though.

PatsyJStone Fri 17-Apr-20 22:58:48

I love dinner parties, probably not really hosted one in the original sense, but I have all the gear (no idea!). I enjoy having friends round and the ceremony around courses and cutlery and crockery. I just see it as a meal and drinks with friends, saves money as well.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »