Talk

Advanced search

Holistic wellness for the long haul

(5 Posts)
Mintypylonsfryingsurplus Thu 16-Apr-20 21:01:39

A plea to all the wise and educated MNs here.
I personally believe in wellness being ' a whole' approach and have some theories/ active practices going on.
Is what I am doing bunkum or rooted in science?
Please please feedback/ flame as needed, particularly if you have experience or scientific knowledge as so much conflicting advice.

For background I am nearly 50, female, blood group O, hypothyroid, a little overweight. No BCG jab as was immune. I vape and 13 years ago was in critical care with pneumonia and chest drain.
Currently not working.

I believe we are in this for the long haul. We cant all stay at home for 2 years.
I want to improve my odds do I carry on with all the below?
Or do I give in to netflix/ booze and depression?

There is evidence that weight training can reverse aging on a cellular level, so I am spending an hour a day 5 days a week lifting quite heave weights.
Will this have an impact?

I am cycling outside HITT level every day to the point I get out of breath and recover. I want my heart and lungs to be younger.

I stopped all booze- again evidence that liver optimisation aids immunity/

I been banging on about Vit D on these threads since Feb. I been taking high levels with K since November. Now sitting in garden when warm. I feel very blessed to do this.

Meditation and Yoga with breathing. For my mental health which has been very poor last 5 years.

Cutting out sugar and trying to stick to keto diet.

Sleeping 7 and a half hours a day

Keep taking my HRT does this keep you biologically younger?

I vape was going to give up but research suggests that nicotine can have beneficial effects ( vaping may negate this but the stress is making me want to smoke again)

Minimise all stress where possible.
Only shop alternate weeks with DH but wear a mask.

I realise I am fortunate to be able to focus on my wellness as not working atm. I do intend to go back to work after lockdown though when I will try to keep up with all of the above if it increases my odds of staying out of hospital.
I am very frightened of getting pneumonia again as was very touch and go before and I was only 37 4 weeks in hospital.

What is everyone else doing? What evidence is there that this may help? TIA

OP’s posts: |
nickblainesmistress Thu 16-Apr-20 21:10:10

Of everything you've said there the thing that stands out to me the most is the vaping. If it was me I would be really trying to kick that.

Mintypylonsfryingsurplus Thu 16-Apr-20 22:30:16

@nickblainesmistress Thank you I am really cutting down but its very hard at the moment but its definitely not good to vape long term

nickblainesmistress Thu 16-Apr-20 22:33:08

Also try taking a good quality probiotic. VSL 3 or Optibac. They are expensive but worth it. Gut health is so important. Saw a thing today saying beans and bananas are great for supporting the healthy bacteria.

Mintypylonsfryingsurplus Thu 16-Apr-20 22:44:59

Thats good advice too I am really trying to treat food as fuel and resisting to snack and eat empty calories.
Some days it seems really hard though.
I worried about the availability of fresh food going into summer so have been making do with frozen fruit to make smoothies etc.
There is a link with obesity but my middle aged body is struggling with middle aged spread.
The only time in my life I wished I was 25 again smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »