Talk

Advanced search

Do you live in a house with someone who works in a supermarket? If so do you fancy a support thread?

(18 Posts)
halexanderamilton Sun 12-Apr-20 17:00:25

I realise that this is not the same at all as people who are medics and at the front line, but if you live in a house with someone who works in a supermarket do you fancy a support thread?
I'm really struggling with him going to work each day and, to be honest, I don't think he should be in work. He has asthma and is taking his puffer which he doesn't usually bother with. He is short of breath but reckons it's due to being anxious about having to work. He runs and is still able to run 5k.
His is a local branch of a big supermarket, so is always busy from 6-10, they're doing the usual queuing thing but he basically says it's not really working in his small shop as they can't really be putting stuff out whilst there are shoppers in and the whole 2 metre thing is a bit of a farce. He's in a rough area and there are lots of people with social problems who just aren't interested in following the rules.
I'm terrified for him and, in turn, us. The rest of the household have been in for 3 weeks and are following the rules to the letter - one walk a day etc, but it's seeming pointless when he's out in it all day.
I know I am not being reasonable and I know that many, many workers are in hospitals and are medics doing a much more dangerous job but I'm so worried about him going to work.
Anyone else feel similar?

OP’s posts: |
canyon2000 Sun 12-Apr-20 17:28:22

My daughter and her boyfriend, who lives with us, both work at a large supermarket. I have to say I haven't worried about it at all and there would be nothing I could do about it anyway. Mind you none of us have any health issues which makes things easier.

Wrigleys123 Sun 12-Apr-20 18:01:36

My OH works in a small supermarket and I am a little worried as he says it's hard to implement social distancing when the store is so small. Just hope he doesn't bring it home to DD but have to think positive and hope we will all be ok

halexanderamilton Sun 12-Apr-20 18:13:43

@Wrigleys123 yes, I get the impression that it's harder in the smaller stores.
On the up side he does say that many customers are being very pleasant and grateful too.

halexanderamilton Sun 12-Apr-20 18:21:44

@canyon2000 my logical head tells me that you're absolutely right about there being nothing I can do about it but every now and then it just gets to me. So many people able to stay safe in their homes who choose not to and I'd love for us to all be here safe and we're not able.

Hearhoovesthinkzebras Sun 12-Apr-20 18:25:22

What supermarket does he work for? Tesco have been amazingly supportive and any one vulnerable ( not just shielded) have been given twelve weeks off, full pay (2 weeks is taken as holiday). Does he not have an option like that?

MrsJoshNavidi Sun 12-Apr-20 18:48:49

Not a supermarket, but a branch of a building society.
Hate to see DD going off to work each day

halexanderamilton Sun 12-Apr-20 19:09:21

@Hearhoovesthinkzebras yes it is Tesco. His branch is not as supportive unfortunately. They have one person who took the 12 weeks initially and they have been slated roundly by the rest of the team as their partner had continued to go to work so they felt that she had not done the right thing. Again, it only takes a couple of them to be off (regardless of the fact that they might legitimately need to be off) and the shop falls over.
@MrsJoshNavidi I can imagine that it feels exactly the same for you too.

halexanderamilton Sun 12-Apr-20 19:10:56

@Hearhoovesthinkzebras do you have a link to a document that says that please? I'm not sure he's seen that.

Hearhoovesthinkzebras Sun 12-Apr-20 19:25:55

There was an email sent out and I'm sure that I saw it announced on Twitter. I just phoned the store manager and told them that i wouldn't be in until I got clarification from my doctor's. Then by the end of the week the store rang and told me of the arrangements - that anyone in the vulnerable group (I'm shielding but they didn't know that) could be off for twelve weeks full pay - two weeks holiday to be taken in that.

Let me look to see if I can find that. If not might be on our Tesco or he should contact the people manager or union rep.

Hearhoovesthinkzebras Sun 12-Apr-20 19:29:14

@halexanderamilton

Just googled it and there are loads of references to it. This is just one

www.thegrocer.co.uk/people/how-are-supermarkets-protecting-and-supporting-their-staff-during-the-coronavirus-crisis/603512.article

halexanderamilton Sun 12-Apr-20 19:30:34

@Hearhoovesthinkzebras thank you!

Hearhoovesthinkzebras Sun 12-Apr-20 19:41:21

Your welcome.

LizzieMacQueen Sun 12-Apr-20 19:46:50

My daughter is working 20 hours at Tesco. I've not been thinking too hard about it but after hearing some of her colleagues are washing their full uniform daily, she has started doing that (including gloves). It means her waiting up until midnight to put the clothes in the drier but hopefully it won't be forever.

halexanderamilton Sun 12-Apr-20 19:58:11

@LizzieMacQueen
The uniform thing is one of the things I've started to get him to do too. He has more than one set luckily as he's permanent full time and has been there a few years so has some spares built up. It might be worth her asking if some of her colleagues have any spare that they could give her. Staying up is hard work if she's been at work all day. I know my Dh is exhausted when he gets home.

LizzieMacQueen Sun 12-Apr-20 20:06:35

Good idea to ask around. She has two shirts but only one jacket and pair of trousers. Luckily they dry quickly being polyester.

She's not full time, often her shifts start at 4 so it's not too late for her but I might offer to do it occasionally. All of our bodyclocks are a bit messed up at the moment.

halexanderamilton Mon 13-Apr-20 07:18:17

Got an alarm call out last night. So home at 10.30. Alarm call out at about 1.30 (windy night so often happens) and back in at 6.00. confused

EsmeeMerlin Mon 13-Apr-20 07:29:41

My partner works full time in a supermarket. I try not to worry too much, he has to work. He is in management so does have to spend some time in the office or at the back which gets him away from the public.

I also wash his uniform every day he gets in. Hopefully he won’t get it, he very rarely does get ill.

The thing we all struggle with most is him working more. He worked over 70 hours last week and did not have a day off, including yesterday. Our eldest son gets quite upset dad is never home.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »