Advanced search

I need to move out of family home

(28 Posts)
DrAdmin Sun 12-Apr-20 14:55:51

Won’t go into the ins and outs... timing couldn’t be worse

Kids want to stay with dad.

Can I still visit them if I go? I won’t leave if I can’t


OP’s posts: |
DrAdmin Sun 12-Apr-20 15:46:06


OP’s posts: |
DownWhichOfLate Sun 12-Apr-20 15:47:55

If you are going as you need to isolate due to work, probably not. Details are sometimes important.

Treacletoots Sun 12-Apr-20 15:47:56

Ask to move this to relationships OP, you'll get some good advice on there. You'll also need more detail if people are to help you, all depends on a lot of things!

DrAdmin Sun 12-Apr-20 16:25:41

Oh it’s not work related. Sorry I didn’t of things like that.

We’re all working from home, no symptoms.

My relationship has broken down and all that’s associated with that. That’s why I need to leave.

OP’s posts: |
DrAdmin Sun 12-Apr-20 16:27:40

As in, it’s over

I’ve got a house 10 miles away I can live in.

OP’s posts: |
PicsInRed Sun 12-Apr-20 16:27:41

How old are the children?

DrAdmin Sun 12-Apr-20 16:28:05


OP’s posts: |
WanderingLost167 Sun 12-Apr-20 16:28:46

Yes, the kids could move between both of your houses.

browzingss Sun 12-Apr-20 16:29:00

You’re allowed to move house

justasking111 Sun 12-Apr-20 16:29:24

Other threads on here say yes child sharing can and does continue. Legally that seems to be clear.

DangerMouse17 Sun 12-Apr-20 16:29:30

You should stay where you are OP. Be civil and make some proper plans.

DownWhichOfLate Sun 12-Apr-20 16:29:34

If you move out it’s probably best you don’t meet up with your child. Can you FaceTime etc instead? At 14 this should be relatively easy?

browzingss Sun 12-Apr-20 16:29:40

No one will force you to stay in an abusive or otherwise difficult/hostile home environment

ArriettyJones Sun 12-Apr-20 16:29:57

Children with parents who live apart are allowed to move between their two homes, so you visiting your children at the FMH would only be a variation of that. I think it’s fine.

PicsInRed Sun 12-Apr-20 16:30:04

You can move in an emergency (and a severe relestiinship breakdown counts). Access to children continues through lockdown.

I wonder if there is underlying abuse, when the children want to stay with Dad and you are desperate to leave. That indicates some level of emotional manipulation and I'm concerned you may be making the wrong choice in leaving the kids behind.

DrAdmin Sun 12-Apr-20 16:30:13

They want to stay in the family home. I can’t stay. So I was was wondering if I can visit them there.

I could limit to the weekend if necessary

OP’s posts: |
DangerMouse17 Sun 12-Apr-20 16:30:27

Oh just seen you have a house to go to! Ignore my last post blush

ArriettyJones Sun 12-Apr-20 16:31:10

Be careful though, if there is violence or abuse involved.

browzingss Sun 12-Apr-20 16:31:24

Oh sorry, mis read. They can move between households however I don’t think you can visit them at their other houses

DrAdmin Sun 12-Apr-20 16:32:23

Absolutely not the wrong choice I know why you’re saying it though. They love dad. He’s a good guy. Family home is more child friendly.

OP’s posts: |
DangerMouse17 Sun 12-Apr-20 16:32:26

If leaving through fear of violence, pls dont leave the kids.

PicsInRed Sun 12-Apr-20 16:32:49

I understand they wish to stay in the family home. Is there abuse in the marriage?

The family courts are still operating. An occupation order could be an option if you are the primary parent and there is another house for the father to go to. Particularly if he is abusive.

DrAdmin Sun 12-Apr-20 16:33:08

It’s just our relationship is over. No abuse

OP’s posts: |
OnlyFoolsnMothers Sun 12-Apr-20 16:34:45

Do you trust your husband to let you go back and forth to see the kids?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »