Talk

Advanced search

Why do so many couples go to the supermarket together?

(183 Posts)
Changingmyname1234 Sat 11-Apr-20 15:41:21

I was at the supermarket this morning. I go once at the weekend so dh can supervise our young DC without WFH distractions. The past 3 weeks I've noticed quite a few couples shopping together. Some have even been wearing gloves and masks... I'm totally baffled why people need to do this. It makes social distancing so much harder and increases their risk of passing it on or catching it. Surely if one doesn't drive the other can just wait in the car. Maybe there a good reason that I'm just missing. I am just curious really...

MrsPear Sat 11-Apr-20 15:43:50

No idea. H just what’s app me as he walks round - I’m the cook but don’t drive so I stay home with the kids. Maybe they are pocket couples?

wonderstuff Sat 11-Apr-20 15:44:25

I thought most supermarkets were enforcing 1 adult only? Dh said sainsbury's near us was last week. I'm not going out because dh is climbing the walls and needs to get out the house. People should only be going as couples in exceptional circumstances.

GrumpiestOldWoman Sat 11-Apr-20 15:45:20

No idea, I've seen this too. It increases the chance of bringing the virus back into their home, and if the 'extra' participant has the virus they are exposing the test of the shop unnecessarily.

GrumpiestOldWoman Sat 11-Apr-20 15:45:50

* rest *

RainbowFlowers Sat 11-Apr-20 15:46:24

Even when it's not lockdown I wonder about this. Seems like such a waste of time for one of them.

BiggerBoat1 Sat 11-Apr-20 15:46:43

Because they're stupid. Or selfish. Or both.

Aroundtheworldin80moves Sat 11-Apr-20 15:48:21

I've seen it too (but shop only allowing one in). I understand it if they are on foot, two to carry the bags home. That's what my PILs do. But not by car.

Raera Sat 11-Apr-20 15:49:00

Apparently couples are being told one trolley, one person. So they take another trolley and carry on, hence lengthening the queue.
I give up

duletty Sat 11-Apr-20 15:49:15

Haven’t had to go yet (local shopping) but I would probably go with husband to beat the boredom of a 2 hour wait and a bit of close personal protection 😬

cologne4711 Sat 11-Apr-20 15:50:01

I understand if they go round separately eg because they are also doing shopping for other people.

I also understand some people don't drive, so their other half needs to be taxi driver (but then they can sit in the car).

But the simple truth is some couples are joined at the hip and simply cannot be separated.

HeartZone Sat 11-Apr-20 15:50:39

Because we’ve not all got little ones at home some of us have grown up adults living with us and a houseful to shop for. When you’re limited to a couple packs of raw meat and the same of pasta and only wish to shop once weekly, it’s not possible unless you go in twos and shop separately!

GrumpiestOldWoman Sat 11-Apr-20 15:51:36

I understand it if they are on foot, two to carry the bags home

Surely in the circumstances you'd think one of them could wait outside?

IHaveBrilloHair Sat 11-Apr-20 15:51:58

Mainly because they are pathetic and cant function without their, "other half".
Yes, there'll be exeptions, but I bet not as many theyd have you believe.

Herpesfreesince03 Sat 11-Apr-20 15:52:07

Because we don’t drive and it’s too much for one person to carry

GirlCalledJames Sat 11-Apr-20 15:52:42

Possibly they get in because they queue as of they aren’t together.
My MIL and her husband go together. It’s because they both want to go (her because he will never stick to the list and she does all the cooking and housework, and him because he’s a selfish bastard who can’t stand her having anything he doesn’t).

GrumpiestOldWoman Sat 11-Apr-20 15:53:14

go in twos and shop separately!

The people I saw were not shopping separately. In fact they last ones I saw bought about 7 items between the.

Ginginwine Sat 11-Apr-20 15:53:31

I noticed this in the queue yesterday. Loads of couples.
Aldi were enforcing a one per trolley rule and they just took 2 trolleys. Some were really arsey about it.
I guess some folk can’t do anything on their own.

NameChangeNugget Sat 11-Apr-20 15:54:26

Selfish twats

Parker231 Sat 11-Apr-20 15:55:02

This morning they were limiting one in the shop per couple and the partner had to wait outside. Lots of reminders over the tannoy that this was the new system. Good idea, less people going out shopping and in the supermarkets the better at the moment.

Davincitoad Sat 11-Apr-20 15:55:06

I am not pathetic. I wish to shop for my own food though. Grow up. Bet half the people bashing this are going to the corner shop for cigarettes or ice cream

GrumpiestOldWoman Sat 11-Apr-20 15:55:07

Because we don’t drive and it’s too much for one person to carry

But why would you both go in and risk catching the virus instead of one of you waiting outside? confused

MrsFezziwig Sat 11-Apr-20 15:56:18

I wonder this all the year round, not just under lockdown. Ditto families - in what world is shopping for food a sociable family outing? (obviously I’ve got to add the disclaimer about single parents etc etc before people start wilfully missing the point complaining)

Elouera Sat 11-Apr-20 15:56:35

We've been shopping as a couple. Not because we feel the need to shop together, but its usually after a 5am walk. We have a car, but walk to our nearest supermarket en-route home.

I cannot physically carry anything too heavy (due to a knee injury), so if we got a weeks worth of milk, squash, vegetables etc, its quite heavy. Sometimes one of us stays outside, and we both carry the shopping home. We have also gone together and never been stopped. 6am at opening, there are hardy any other people in the shop. If it was busier, then I'd expect only 1 of us to be allowed in.

sociallydistained Sat 11-Apr-20 15:57:46

In the queue to pay at tesco last week. There was a couple arguing behind me because their baby (tiny still in the lay flat baby seat of the trolley) was hungry. I was thinking why would you bring your tiny baby in here when one of you could of stayed home!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »