Talk

Advanced search

Is this the end of cash?

(37 Posts)
hearditfromanunicorn Sat 11-Apr-20 08:31:38

So many places aren't accepting cash due to it being dirty or you can only use it in self checkout. Do you think that globally this could be the end of cash. Not having cash could also mean no more cash in hand or discounts for cash, so would help with governments needing more tax to recover from this crisis.

OP’s posts: |
Snowman123 Sat 11-Apr-20 14:59:43

Cashless society. Great idea. Surprised we haven't done this already.

ChanklyBore Sat 11-Apr-20 15:01:28

What happens if you don’t have a mobile phone, bank account or debit card of your own?

TwilightPeace Sat 11-Apr-20 15:01:48

I was wondering this a few days a ago. I can’t see us going back to using cash again once this is over.

hearditfromanunicorn Sat 11-Apr-20 15:07:02

Annoyingly I have a bit of cash as I sold something on marketplace, but no where is taking cash around here. I have no money in my account though ! As all benefits / pensions are now paid into bank accounts everyone must have a card surely ?

Randomschoolworker19 Sat 11-Apr-20 15:13:43

@ChanklyBore

Who doesn't have one of those in this day and age? hmm

Even my 86 year old grandad has a debit card.

I guess the answer if you don't is you'll have to get one pretty sharpish won't you.....

burritofan Sat 11-Apr-20 15:16:31

* Who doesn't have one of those in this day and age?*
The homeless. People who are being financially abused by their partners. New arrivals to the country.

Lumene Sat 11-Apr-20 15:23:48

Many older and less well off people rely on cash

Lumene Sat 11-Apr-20 15:25:32

This is an interesting exploration of the pros and cons of becoming a cashless society:

www.thebalance.com/pros-and-cons-of-moving-to-a-cashless-society-4160702

JemimaPuddleCat Sat 11-Apr-20 15:32:29

What about children? My 11 year old should have a debit card now for if she wants to pop along to the shop for a treat? (Outwith lockdown of course)

Orangeblossom78 Sat 11-Apr-20 15:37:13

On this subject, can anyone help me with how to pay in cash when your bank has closed it's branch locally? Elderly neighbour has been giving me cash and been using my bank card to get her shopping, it is about £80 now and not sure how to pay it in.

Can you do it at other banks or post office? My bank's lines are too busy to ask.

Orangeblossom78 Sat 11-Apr-20 15:37:49

Jemima they can get cash cards from about 11, or top up cards.

Orangeblossom78 Sat 11-Apr-20 15:37:59

or debit cards

ohwhattodowithmylife Sat 11-Apr-20 15:39:30

My bank you can pay in at the cash point now

thatgingergirl Sat 11-Apr-20 15:39:47

Orangeblossom78 - I've paid cash in to my account via my debit card at the Post Office. Little local one, part of my local Tesco, no problem.

azaleanth90 Sat 11-Apr-20 15:42:03

You're forgetting non-tax payers - builders, cleaners all insist on being paid cash. Can't see that changing.

Allgirlmum Sat 11-Apr-20 15:42:49

Yes I think we will I hate cash don't carry it anywhere haven't done in years

Orangeblossom78 Sat 11-Apr-20 15:43:05

OK thanks flowers

IHaveBrilloHair Sat 11-Apr-20 15:47:21

I mainly use cash, I dont need ti but I prefer to.

hearditfromanunicorn Sat 11-Apr-20 15:48:49

My dog groomer and hairdresser only take cash, but when I had a cleaner in the past it was bank transfer payment. I mainly shop online so use PayPal or amazon. Also been using pay by mobile phone as felt that my 70 year old Dad was showing me up but using it !

hearditfromanunicorn Sat 11-Apr-20 15:51:30

Taking cash only is surely a tax dodge though, so if cash is stopped surely more tax is paid and would help the government reclaim all the support money they are giving out. It must help. Well the government aren't supporting me, as I have a one women limited company and paid myself in Dividends, but best not get bitter hey ?!

Stepintimebert Sat 11-Apr-20 16:02:37

If you go to Sweden, take a card that doesn’t charge fees on every transaction, as it. Is rare to find anywhere taking cash. Some places like hotels and restaurants refuse to take cash. Public toilets are 50p, pay by card. The ice cream seller in the park has a cordless card machine, as do the homeless and big issue sellers.

MereDintofPandiculation Sat 11-Apr-20 16:14:25

Cards are difficult for anyone beginning to find it difficult to remember numbers.

And anyone who wants to be untraceable - someone fleeing domestic violence, for example.

Without cash, the consequences of having your id stolen are unthinkable.

neddle Sat 11-Apr-20 16:17:16

There are still some things where you need cash.
School fairs, as you can’t give kids your card, and other types of fundraising.

hearditfromanunicorn Sat 11-Apr-20 18:39:43

You can get pre paid cards.

School fairs yes tricky that one, but could be done on ticket system. Buy 10 tickets for £10 etc. Pay for your go on the bouncy castle with a token. I'm sure I've been to festivals who do this to get around alcohol licensing, buy a token swap for a cider !

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »