Talk

Advanced search

Off licence

(14 Posts)
Burpeesshmurpees Fri 10-Apr-20 16:36:48

So we are having a family BBQ this evening. Just me DH and our young kids before anyone gets worried smile
It's lovely sunny weather and me and DH fancy a couple of ciders to go with our burgers. There's a local off licence which is open which I could take a walk to and therefore make it my exercise as well but it's obviously not an essential. Do you think it'd be ok to go or should we just skip the drink? Would make it feel more like an event but don't want to be unreasonable. Thank you

OP’s posts: |
HopelessLayout Fri 10-Apr-20 16:42:54

It's not essential so don't go into the shop.

Haffiana Fri 10-Apr-20 16:45:54

What Downing Street have actually said:

"We set out a list of shops which could remain open and if the shops are on that list then they are free to sell whatever they have in stock. Obviously provided it’s legal to do so."

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52245937

Ignore the 'essential' police.

donquixotedelamancha Fri 10-Apr-20 16:46:58

It's perfectly legal. Assuming you do:

Keep 2m from everyone. Pay by card. Don't touch your face until you have washed your hands and the cider thoroughly, with soap.

If you do the above you are not really increasing the risk to others or yourself.

pocketem Fri 10-Apr-20 17:03:29

Off licenses were specifically allowed to open by the govt. If they didn't want people going there to buy booze they wouldn't have let them stay open

Stellaris22 Fri 10-Apr-20 17:05:57

I would say that's perfectly fine, as long as you do the 2m distance etc. Enjoy your BBQ!

TomHardysCBBC Fri 10-Apr-20 17:06:20

Fine.

TheOwlandThe Fri 10-Apr-20 17:07:49

Off licenses have been allowed to stay open

Given they only sell alcohol, then no one going in is buying anything essential

Go on your daily walk, buy the cider, have a good BBQ!

BlueBrian Fri 10-Apr-20 17:13:21

I live practically opposite an off-licence and can hear the door opening all day, wouldn't worry about about getting stopped, the police are taking absolutely no notice of anybody using it.

Apolloanddaphne Fri 10-Apr-20 17:17:01

Go get your ciders. Observe social distancing and pay by contactless. Enjoy your bbq.

OldEvilOwl Fri 10-Apr-20 17:18:01

It's fine,especially as you can walk there

Redwinestillfine Fri 10-Apr-20 17:18:21

Perfectly fine. Enjoy your weekend drinks.

InescapableDeath Fri 10-Apr-20 17:18:26

My local off-license is doing deliveries!

donquixotedelamancha Fri 10-Apr-20 17:19:25

Just realised I didn't read your OP properly:

Just me DH and our young kids

In that case alcohol is an essential medical need. Mine are 4 and 6 so I'm self medicating a lot.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »