Talk

Advanced search

Hayfever or covid?

(6 Posts)
Msloverlover Fri 10-Apr-20 08:15:11

I’ve been having chest pains and tightness for a few days now. I was definitely not thinking covid as I haven’t had a temp or a cough. I phoned doctor yesterday as it seemed to get worse. She was concerned it was corona virus and sent me to a local hub to get my vitals checked. All fine but doctor there said it was either a very very mild/early stages of hay fever induced asthma or covid 19. I definitely do have hay fever due to lots of trees behind our house but I’ve never had chest symptoms before with it. Did anyone else’s virus start like this? Concerned as we have just finished 14 days isolation due to me daughter having a fever, so thought I was safe to go shopping again but not sure now. I’ll stay in for the time being but interested to hear others experiences.

OP’s posts: |
KoalasandRabbit Fri 10-Apr-20 09:21:10

Since moving to the countryside a couple of years ago I've got bad hayfever, last year it seemed to cause a cough, itchy eyes, runny nose and sometimes it go harder to breathe / mild chest pain but always cleared after an hour or so. Most of the time was just normal hayfever. Never saw a doctor but think it might have been mild hayfever induced asthma. We got a rabbit (so hay in house around same time as breathing issues started) if hoovered absolutely everything I didn't get the asthma type symptoms. Never had the breathing issues before in my life but both grandads had severe asthma.

This year I've been having the same, I assume it's the same thing again though have had a fever twice. My cough has been on-off for months though appeared new a couple of times. I've not been out since having a cough so can't have directly caught anything, no-one else has shown symptoms so in my case assume its hayfever / asthma. It's hard to be 100% certain. I have a poor immune system so getting temperatures isn't unusual for me either, also mid 40s so could even be peri-menopause but only happens every few weeks. A nurse said to me when I said it wasn't covid that it could be but I'ld be very surprised. Also it's been on-off like this for a couple of months, I've stayed in just in case.

If your daughter had a temp and they said it could be covid I would continue to isolate but I've got similar and think it's hayfever related. I would go with what NHS advise.

MajesticWhine Fri 10-Apr-20 09:41:09

87% of people with covid symptoms get a high temperature. Not so for hayfever, so it probably is more likely to be hayfever. But it would make sense to stay in for now while you feel unwell.

forkfun Fri 10-Apr-20 09:44:03

You have symptoms so you and your family need to isolate again. Until the government sorts out testing, this is what needs to happen. We simply cannot second guess on what it might be, if symptoms are present. It's very frustrating and I wish proper testing would be rolled out sooner rather than later.

forkfun Fri 10-Apr-20 09:45:41

@MajesticWhine I'm pretty sure I had it, but didn't get a temperature for about 5 days after the first symptoms developed (and only had a temperature for about half a day). Without testing, it really is impossible to say.

unchienandalusia Fri 10-Apr-20 10:28:25

I had v sore throat, headache and tight chest. Felt very dizzy. But no cough or fever. Tree pollen this year is crazy high. So I still have no idea if it was that or Covid. My daughter had same symptoms though and has never had hay fever before. DH also had v right chest headache and fatigue. Guess we won't know for sure for a long time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »