Talk

Advanced search

Why? Why oh why are people still coming here on holiday?

(508 Posts)
Jux Thu 09-Apr-20 18:45:50

Devon. We have seen caravans and motorhomes and people obviously on holiday (canoe and suitcases etc on car roof, all that stuff; it's bloody obvious), bikes loaded with camping stuff....

We live 20 miles from the beach and none of us have seen a wave for weeks. DH spends half the day complaining because he can't go to the beach in this lovely weather as he normally does.

Thank goodness the market is not on, or we'd be over-run. Really worried as both dd and I are vulnerable (not extremely vulnerable) and dh freaks out every time he has to go out as our Designated Shopper that he'll bring it home to us.

Why are people such arseholes?

We're going to need road blocks!

Vargas Thu 09-Apr-20 18:49:12

Jux - you have to remember, these people are special. Rules do not apply to them. They probably have 'already had the virus', 'really won't be a burden' and 'definitely won't need medical care' while at their 2nd/3rd home with their mates. They will probably be very cross about the queues at your local supermarkets though...I hope you have cleared out all the wine.

justanotherneighinparadise Thu 09-Apr-20 18:50:19

I’m going to guess because holiday companies are refusing to refund and people don’t want to lose their money.

AnyFucker Thu 09-Apr-20 18:51:29

Up here the police are stopping cars on major roads to The Lakes and sending them back

Nothing like that happening there ?

Bluegrass Thu 09-Apr-20 18:52:46

You don’t lose the money, you lose the holiday because the country is (supposedly) locked down. It sucks, but if you’ve spent the money already you can afford to do without.

VaggieMight Thu 09-Apr-20 18:52:59

I've been hoping for road blocks for weeks. I can understand the temptation to flee somewhere quiet but I really don't understand the mentality of people actually packing the car up and travelling. The message isn't getting through to people, road blocks are the only answer.

BigChocFrenzy Thu 09-Apr-20 18:53:23

"because holiday companies are refusing to refund and people don’t want to lose their money."

Much more important than a dangerous virus and lockdown rules

PawPatrolMakesMeDrink Thu 09-Apr-20 18:53:32

Cos some people are cunts.

SeasonallySnowyPeasant Thu 09-Apr-20 18:53:48

My friend who lives in Snowdonia National Park says the police are out on the roads sending people back home.

VaggieMight Thu 09-Apr-20 18:54:12

Nearly everyone is losing out financially. The cost of a holiday really just needs to be sucked up.

HappyHammy Thu 09-Apr-20 18:54:18

What are the police and council doing about this.

pickingdaisies Thu 09-Apr-20 18:56:17

Because there's no reasoning with stupid. Whack them. With a 6foot stick, you don't want to put yourself at risk. I hope your police will get out there and send the stupid sods home, with a hefty fine for their trouble.

Sparklingbrook Thu 09-Apr-20 18:56:32

That's really disappointing to hear. I am starting to wonder if some people just don't care, and/or are really thick..
I am dreading this weekend as some are just going to do whatever they please because it's Easter and nice weather.

aut0replenish Thu 09-Apr-20 18:58:07

What is the point of them coming, everything will be closed.confused

LockedInMadness Thu 09-Apr-20 18:58:32

Where are the bloody police? Surely they can see the caravans, suitcases etc? angry

Porcupineinwaiting Thu 09-Apr-20 18:59:50

I honestly think some people are living in a parallel universe. One without coronavirus in it apparently. hmm

Tralala33 Thu 09-Apr-20 19:00:34

Police will be very proactive on this tonight on the main roads into Devon and Cornwall. Stopping everyone, only letting lorries through.

AudaCityLimits Thu 09-Apr-20 19:02:08

I'm in Wales, by the sea. It's truly shocking how many people are landing here.

WelshMoth Thu 09-Apr-20 19:02:15

Some are just so entitled and willing to risk it.

HappyHammy Thu 09-Apr-20 19:02:39

I would call the police. Where are these people staying as hotels and holiday parks are mostly closed.

Littlemissdaredevil Thu 09-Apr-20 19:02:54

Devon and Cornwall police have put on FB that Devon is closed. They will be stopping people on the main routes such as the A38, A30 and North Devon link road and asking them to turn around if they have a caravan/motor home or are visiting their second home.

madcatladyforever Thu 09-Apr-20 19:06:21

Why are there no road blocks?

girlicorne Thu 09-Apr-20 19:06:37

Where are they going though, aren't all campsites and holiday parks closed? I don't understand why people are so stupid and selfish, but also why on earth would you go on holiday when nothing is open and you are going to get a cold (quite rightly) reception from the locals? I would love a holiday as I'm sure would everyone else who is at home, in fact we should have been in Cornwall this week but I am at home because I'm not a selfish dick!

Figgygal Thu 09-Apr-20 19:07:34

Absolutely bastards
Hope the police get them

WelshMoth Thu 09-Apr-20 19:07:44

Second homes?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »