Talk

Advanced search

Since year 11s and 13s are no longer doing exams will child benefit and/or tax credits end early?

(10 Posts)
worldweary45 Thu 09-Apr-20 18:10:47

All I can find about tax credit dates etc is that they stop when the DCs finish formal full time education

But when is that this year?

Already having an argument with my DCs dad as he wants to stop maintenance payments because school has finished for our year 13

I am prepared for these to stop -I'd just like to know when it will be so I can plan

Can anyone help?

OP’s posts: |
worldweary45 Thu 09-Apr-20 18:13:13

Ugh -sorry for the garbled question

Typing on my phone and half of it disappeared

halcyondays Thu 09-Apr-20 18:15:56

They must still be on the school roll until the end of the summer term surely?

Clutterfreeintraining Thu 09-Apr-20 18:22:15

I've also been wondering this. Am I foolish to think child benefit/dwp would be in touch if I no longer qualify?

H1978 Thu 09-Apr-20 18:24:14

Is it not normally till they are 19 if they’ve been in full time education?

SuperficialSuzie Thu 09-Apr-20 18:24:18

IIRC when DS was coming up 16 I got a letter asking if he was continuing in education, I filled in the form and then that continued his CB and TC.

I have just received the same letter for DD.

blimppy Thu 09-Apr-20 18:25:00

Funnily enough I've just received the annual letter relating to DD's child benefit. She's Year 13 so I am expecting it to end, but not sure whether I say she has already left education, or will leave in July??

fluffedup Thu 09-Apr-20 18:25:39

I recently received a letter about my y11 DD's child benefit. It seems to be all as usual, ie I have to confirm that she will be starting y12 in September, and the child benefit will continue.

I don't know about tax credits / UC, sorry.

worldweary45 Thu 09-Apr-20 18:29:40

H1978 it's up to 19 if they are still in full time education (not uni)

I've an 18 year old who should be sitting A levels this year so CB will stop when she finishes education -I'm just not sure if that's now?

Chasingsquirrels Thu 09-Apr-20 18:35:31

www.gov.uk/child-benefit-16-19

Hmm, so Yr 11 is clear - 31 August.
But post 16 it relates to the end of approved training and there are 4 quarter dates, end Feb / May / Aug / Nov.
I'd hope that the current yr 13's would still be on the school roll and so qualify. But who knows.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »