Talk

Advanced search

Lockdown extended.

(48 Posts)
TeddyIsaHe Thu 09-Apr-20 17:14:30

ht I knew it was coming but I think in my weird kbrain I was hoping it would be lifted slightly.

I know it’s the right thing, but the prospect of weeks more of this is hitting home now. Fuck this virus!!

As always, thank you so much to the frontline workers putting themselves at risk for us flowers

OP’s posts: |
TeddyIsaHe Thu 09-Apr-20 17:15:01

Spelling errors! Being climbed on by a 3yo

Gigabitten Thu 09-Apr-20 17:15:11

How long for?

Scoose Thu 09-Apr-20 17:17:22

Where has it said this?

CherieBabySpliffUp Thu 09-Apr-20 17:17:25

To be reviewed next Friday at the earliest @Gigabitten

TeddyIsaHe Thu 09-Apr-20 17:18:35

Matt Hancock on the nightly update. Sorry should have put links!

Gigabitten Thu 09-Apr-20 17:19:20

So only 5 days after they originally said a review would take place?

I'm sure they said the first review is on the 12th.

Itis6oclocksomewhere Thu 09-Apr-20 17:19:51

Matt Hancock isn't doing the update tonight.

TeddyIsaHe Thu 09-Apr-20 17:20:13

Hancock has said that the earliest it will be reviewed is at the end of next week, but lockdown won’t be lifted until it is conclusive that we have hit and passed the peak.

TeddyIsaHe Thu 09-Apr-20 17:21:01

Sorry! Raab. My brain is all over the place atm

ssd Thu 09-Apr-20 17:21:26

Why not be honest and say another 3 weeks at least?
We aren't daft.

TeddyIsaHe Thu 09-Apr-20 17:22:54

Exactly @ssd that’s what is frustrating, just say look guys we know this is shit but it’s protecting people so it’s going on for another 3 weeks minimum.

I guess that will come on Monday or whenever the SAGE meeting is.

loobyloo1234 Thu 09-Apr-20 17:23:20

Because it may not be another 3 weeks? What is the point in them saying 3 weeks now when they'be already said they need to review it properly after 3 weeks is up?

StitchInLime Thu 09-Apr-20 17:25:32

One of the health dudes (not Chris) said in conference he estimates the death rate will go up for the next 2 weeks. So that means we'll see the peak in 2 weeks and therefore, there's no way a decision will be contemplated until then so next Friday is optimistic.

RarePackOfLooRoll Thu 09-Apr-20 17:26:07

They've been forced into a corner to say this because the press are like a dog with a bone asking and asking and asking when there shouldn't have been an announcement until next week.
The government like other European countries are deliberately breaking it down into small.chunks because people.wont cope with being told 6 weeks from.the onset.
I'm expecting another 3 weeks minimum but whilst that's not confirmed there is a glimmer of hope.

PersonaNonGarter Thu 09-Apr-20 17:28:05

The problem is there is no other news, so press rehashing what they have. Endlessly the same questions.

Government support package of three months. Assume three months lockdown.

DogInATent Thu 09-Apr-20 18:01:41

People need to get their heads around this being a long term issue and there will be restrictions for months, not weeks. Social distancing and shielding measures can't be lifted until we have a vaccine and everyone's either been confirmed as recovered and immune or has had the vaccine.

Pubs, restaurants, cinemas and large gatherings aren't going to be opening or taking place for a long time.

The impacts of this are going to go on for years, not months. Don't expect a foreign holiday next year. There are going to have to be systems to certify individual immunity/vaccination before we all start jetting off around the world again.

If you can change your mindset to accept this, plan for this, and develop your coping strategies to work with it then the easier you'll find it.

Eyewhisker Thu 09-Apr-20 18:04:37

Dog - waiting for a vaccine is not a strategy. Hopefully, there will be a vaccine but we have to plan on the basis that there won’t be. That means accepting that we will have to unlock slowly and do social distancing to slow the spread, but to accept that most of us will get it at some point.

winterisstillcoming Thu 09-Apr-20 18:15:26

The uncertainty is difficult isn't it? I've dealt with it by pencilling in the end of May as end of lockdown and tbh I think it's going to be difficult to readjust to the craziness that life was before this all started, so don't want to go back to it to be then told to lock down again.

Realistically the govt won't lift lockdown until they're pretty certain they won't need to again for a long time. They will do as they've done previously- make noises for a while before to prepare us. Currently it's not forthcoming. The logistics in restarting the country will be huge and complex so it will have to be done correctly, and no doubt they'll be looking at how other countries behave to inform their decision making.

So baton down the hatches and wait as safely as you possibly can.

Forgone90 Thu 09-Apr-20 18:18:07

@StitchInLime the peak will be when new infections are at their highest not the deaths.. Anyone dying today likely caught this 3 or 4 weeks ago!

DogInATent Thu 09-Apr-20 18:20:58

Eye - we cannot allow the most vulnerable shielded groups to catch it at all. They'll die in very large numbers. That means social distancing either until we get a vaccine or until we know that 70-80% of the whole population are immune and there's a large firebreak in the community.

If there's no vaccine, I have close relatives that will die of this. Having the disease, surviving it, and becoming immune will not stop me being at risk of spreading the virus to them. Immunity doesn't stop you spreading it on your hands, clothes, etc. from someone else who has it as an active infection - with or without symptoms. They need a vaccine.

Slowing the transmission rate (the international goal) extends the period we have to maintain social distancing measures.

The message I'm getting from business strategy sources through work is very much moving to the long-term thinking mode. Society is not going to have all the freedoms it's had in the recent past back for a long time yet. The travel industry is already starting to think about the implications of Immunity Certificates.

Forgone90 Thu 09-Apr-20 18:23:37

@DogInATent that's crazy things will need to get to normal befor then.. If they don't far more people will die of other reasons than this virus will kill... Money makes the world go round.. Some cou tries rely on tourism to survive.. They will want people travelling again soon to kick-start the travel industry again

Heathercob Thu 09-Apr-20 18:25:30

When will I be able to see my horse and ride again??

StitchInLime Thu 09-Apr-20 18:29:16

@Forgone90 Ah, that's useful to know. Thanks.

Iamclearlyamug Thu 09-Apr-20 18:35:44

I'm unable to see my fiance until flights start up again so I bloody hope it's as soon as possible - I've mentally prepared myself for September which will still be 7 months apart 😢

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »