Talk

Advanced search

Would someone who had heart surgery...

(18 Posts)
MysteryFrog Thu 09-Apr-20 15:31:44

... as a baby be classed as extremely vulnerable? Ex lives with his teen brother who has various health problems including being born with a hole in his heart and cleft palate, so has had a lot of surgery in his life. Ex is refusing to tell me if his brother has been told he should be shielding and is trying to get me to send DS to his.

OP’s posts: |
TheReluctantCountess Thu 09-Apr-20 15:37:05

No, I don’t think so. My dad has had heart surgery and isn’t on the shielding list.

MysteryFrog Thu 09-Apr-20 15:39:38

Thanks @TheReluctantCountess

It’s the fact he’s avoiding the question instead of saying no outright that makes me suspicious

TheReluctantCountess Thu 09-Apr-20 16:09:12

If someone in the house is meant to be shielding, it would be unwise to send a child there now. wink

Porcupineinwaiting Thu 09-Apr-20 16:20:14

Well you are kind of asking for his brother's private medical information which is none of your business...

shineaflight Thu 09-Apr-20 16:54:36

What's it got to do with you?

And no, he wouldn't be on the shielding list or high risk unless there's more to it

TheHarryFormerlyKnownAsPrince Thu 09-Apr-20 17:05:46

No, not on the shielding list.

Kateplaysrugbyinmydreams Thu 09-Apr-20 17:08:39

Those are standard creditable congenital defects. Can't see why he would need to shield.

MysteryFrog Thu 09-Apr-20 17:20:22

@Porcupineinwaiting
@shineaflight
It’s all very well saying it’s none of my business but I don’t want to send my son round there if there’s a risk that he might unknowingly be carrying the virus and pass it on to a vulnerable person

MysteryFrog Thu 09-Apr-20 17:26:57

Thanks @TheHarryFormerlyKnownAsPrince and @Kateplaysrugbyinmydreams I won’t worry about it then

Porcupineinwaiting Thu 09-Apr-20 17:29:24

Yes I get that but it is not your decision to make.

MysteryFrog Thu 09-Apr-20 17:39:39

@Porcupineinwaiting

Terribly sorry for trying to protect someone who I thought might be vulnerable...

If it was ex who was possibly vulnerable and was still saying he was happy to have DS then I’d let him because it’s his choice, but I’m not sure why it would be up to ex to put his young teen brother at risk. For context their dad also lives there, ex isn’t responsible for his brother he’s just never bothered moving out because he doesn’t have to pay his way there.

But now that I’ve been told he won’t be considered in the vulnerable category then I won’t worry about it any more

MysteryFrog Thu 09-Apr-20 17:42:54

It’s ex’s teen brother by the way not DS’s, not sure if that’s clear

baroqueandblue Thu 09-Apr-20 17:48:26

OP I don't understand why you got some snotty replies, but personally feel you were doing the right thing in being concerned for your ex's younger brother and checking things out to make sure you wouldn't be putting him at risk by letting your son go and stay there. Lots of us wouldn't know the answer to such a question off the top of our heads. At least you were compassionate and thoughtful enough to ask instead of just blithely waving your son off and putting your feet up!

MysteryFrog Thu 09-Apr-20 18:41:15

Thank you @baroqueandblue !!
I don’t understand it either but I’ve learnt not to take mumsnet comments personally!

majesticallyawkward Thu 09-Apr-20 18:57:31

It's generally immuno compromised people that need to shield, so auto immune diseases, those having chemo or certain cancer treatments, transplant patients, anyone taking immunosuppressants, respiratory diseases rather than just everyone with any kind of illness.

Spied Thu 09-Apr-20 19:01:00

I'd say he is yes.
Look at BHF corinavirus page.

TreacleSmiles Thu 09-Apr-20 19:05:19

My 14 month old has had heart surgery and still has a large unoperated VSD and we haven't received a shielding letter. Although his consultant has more or less advised us to do that anyway, we haven't had anything official in writing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »