Talk

Advanced search

Police threaten to search shopping trolleys to check you’re only buying essentials *amended by MNHQ*

(184 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

HeIenaDove Thu 09-Apr-20 14:52:17

metro.co.uk/2020/04/09/police-threaten-search-shopping-trolleys-check-buying-essentials-12532339/

Video of statement

twitter.com/RTaylorUK/status/1248204770977996800?s=20

CuriousaboutSamphire Thu 09-Apr-20 14:55:24

So he said we're ARE NOT doing any of that but, if we the public, continue to do ignore the lockdown regs then it will come to pass.

OK.

LalalalalaLlama Thu 09-Apr-20 14:57:57

🙄 yea...ok

If it does come to this then shops should be banned from selling. Not punishing the individuals for buying what is on offer.

LastTrainEast Thu 09-Apr-20 14:58:11

As far as I know there isn't a rule about buying unnecessary items, but only unnecessary trips. Did I miss an update or has he recently confiscated some hard drugs?

Obviously if someone takes the whole family to the shops to buy something trivial they are in the wrong, but the police shouldn't be trying to micro-manage that.

Megan2018 Thu 09-Apr-20 14:58:44

I think it’s fair enough-if people ignore the lockdown it will get stricter.

But I’m definitely not giving up my online slot if that happens, I need chocolate.

CuriousaboutSamphire Thu 09-Apr-20 14:59:13

Sorry, posted too soon.

I'll need a list of foods I can and cannot buy then!

We currently have to shop a couple of times a week because the shelf stripping locusts are still stripping shelves. Occasionally we go in with a list and end up with stuff that isn't essential as it is all that's available and we don't want to waste the trip. We're in the supermarket anyway.

I can't imagine it's much different for many people, urban or rural.

middleager Thu 09-Apr-20 15:01:32

I wonder what's deemed "legitimate" and "necessary"?

Carbosug Thu 09-Apr-20 15:02:03

I live in Dublin. The police are not stopping people and checking their shopping as was implied in that article. At the moment there are no restrictions on what you can buy in supermarkets. So whatever the policeman in that photograph was doing, he wasn't checking that there were only essential items in the bag.

SorrelBlackbeak Thu 09-Apr-20 15:02:38

The prime minister's spokesman said 'shops that are still open are free to sell any items they have in stock' so it looks like a police force jumping the gun a bit.

lubeybooby Thu 09-Apr-20 15:03:07

I think they maybe just want to stop people nipping out for an ice cream? Like get a decent amount of actual, needed food or stay the fuck home

Saladmakesmesad Thu 09-Apr-20 15:03:28

Why would you read, believe and repost such utter crap. There are NO RULES about what grocery items are considered essential. There never has been and there never will be.

Northernsoullover Thu 09-Apr-20 15:03:45

I bought a beautifully naff solar lighthouse for the garden from Lidl earlier today. I had a trolley full of food. If I had gone in for a lighthouse and nothing else it would be a fair point

StrangerDaysAhoy Thu 09-Apr-20 15:05:16

Maybe the frequent TV adverts for Easter eggs, Limon gin and garden furniture could stop, then, given that they're mostly unavailable online and need buying in actual shops?

Very mixed messages from our 'authorities' and retailers.

And yes, there's a difference between non-essential journeys, and non-essential purchases once you're in the shop anyway and they're being promoted.

Hairwizard Thu 09-Apr-20 15:09:58

Whatever i buy when at shops i will be taking home end of. They can fuck off with the fines. Load of bollocks quite frankly. Im only out when we need supplies (cooking for and feeding 6 people) so usually ends up 2 trips in a week. My trolley will have all our essentials plus treats and alcohol for me cos 4 fucking kids to entertain and one being homeschooled. Who also wont stop eating all the things.
Why should the sensible majority be penalised by the fuckwit idiots?? And what one deems unreasonable may well be perfectly reasonable to someone else.

Carbosug Thu 09-Apr-20 15:12:36

Exactly. That article implies that if you have a trolley full of milk and bread and vegetables and baby formula you could still be ticked off for adding in a bar of chocolate or a bottle of wine. It's just a load of nonsense.

Hairwizard Thu 09-Apr-20 15:12:51

Having a crappy day. Cant get 5 mins to myself for a wee. Dp fucked off to bed and cant get kids out for a walk myself. Wanker.

mumwon Thu 09-Apr-20 15:15:45

really so how many shops in the area & how many police are going to do the checking? & how many people go shopping??? Yup I can really see this happening

P1nkHeartLovesCake Thu 09-Apr-20 15:15:46

Even if lockdown was made stricter, it still wouldn’t make any sense.

I mean if I’m doing the weekly shop for my family meals, I am in the supermarket anyway so grabbing a wine or chocolate isn’t a hurting anyone.

Quite frankly it’s bullshit anyway, where are the police coming from? The uk simply doesn’t have the police force to police it, so it won’t ever happen. Maybe the police would do better patrolling beauty hot spots of sunny days.....

mumwon Thu 09-Apr-20 15:16:52

we have more supermarkets & food shops in our town than we have police so that could be interesting!

gingysmummy Thu 09-Apr-20 15:18:43

More fake news 🤔

PennyNotSoWise Thu 09-Apr-20 15:22:39

I don't see the harm in grabbing say a packet of biscuits or a chocolate bar whilst you're already in the shop anyway confused It takes a second to just grab them whilst you're on your way around, hardly like you have to loiter around for ages.

swishthecat Thu 09-Apr-20 15:23:35

Christ on a bike, he does NOT say that. he says they WILL NOT be checking trollies, but IMPLIES they MIGHT in the future. Which has no basis in law, so they can't.

SweetPetrichor Thu 09-Apr-20 15:24:20

It wouldn't make any sense...sure, people shouldn't go to the shops for non-essentials, but on my weekly shop I don't see the harm in adding a chocolate bar or some crisps to my trolley despite the fact they're non-essential.

swishthecat Thu 09-Apr-20 15:25:02

Helena please ask MNHQ to edit the thread title, it's so misleading.

HighNetGirth Thu 09-Apr-20 15:26:21

Police need to follow government advice and instructions, rather than vice versa. And the Commons needs to get on with virtual sittings so this kind of issue can be debated and clarified.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »