Talk

Advanced search

rainbow of flowers? looking for advice

(10 Posts)
NCbecauseitspersonal Thu 09-Apr-20 09:17:11

Looking for advice from the green-fingered.

I've seen a suggestion on FB that we could grow a rainbow of flowers in the front garden or a container.

Can anyone suggest something I could plant now that would give that effect? Annuals - seeds or plants, not fussy, but easy to get hold of. Would want all the colours to be ready at the same time. (Is it too late for pansies? I don't know much about flowers, and googling just brings up loads of "rainbow roses" ... )

OP’s posts: |
Stellaris22 Thu 09-Apr-20 09:45:43

That's a lovely idea! Following this thread for advice on how to do this too smile

WheresMyAlex Thu 09-Apr-20 09:47:21

Ooh this is a fab idea! Following with interest.

Siameasy Thu 09-Apr-20 09:48:45

I am v keen on flowers and we grow native wildflowers every spring. In future-if you get into growing-if you over-winter them (sow in autumn) you will get your plants to flower earlier.
If you order your seeds now and plant you will prob have flowers around late June-July.
Red- red poppies
Orange-Calendula orange variety
Yellow-corn marigold
Green-erm leaves😂
Blue-cornflower or vipers bugloss
Indigo-}
Violet-} probably open to interpretation. You can get strains of cornflower in a purple but I’d probably plant corn cockle which is a strong pink colour) in place of these two colours. Alternatively Phacelia is a mauve colour.
These plants are all annuals. Definitely plant in a container in full sun but not allowed to dry out preferably a raised container in a slug free area
Alternatively you can start them off in pots and transfer once well established which is what I do as we have lots of thieving insects and birds and if I sow directly into the ground I get nowt!

lubeybooby Thu 09-Apr-20 09:48:47

I'd love to do this but have no idea on plants so watching with interest

lubeybooby Thu 09-Apr-20 09:49:21

ooh thank you @Siameasy

ValerieSally Thu 09-Apr-20 09:56:50

Sweet peas are very easy to grow. Start now and when they flower keep picking them and you will be rewarded with more. I grow mine in the cardboard inner if the toilet roll. Soak seeds overnight in water then sow 3 to a pot. Don't let them dry out and when they initially reach 10cms pinch out the top leaves this will give you bushy plants. Plant out in a sunny place once no chance of frost, about May time. Some bamboo or trellis for them to cling to when they climb. Good luck, happy gardening.

Siameasy Thu 09-Apr-20 09:58:31

You’re welcome I can talk about plants all day
Here’s what I had last year. This is early July and they aren’t fully out so obv more green than colour. Wild flowers are more subtle but I like that and the bees love them. The mauve one in the centre of the pot is candy tuft I forgot about that one.
Wild flowers will flower till October as well until the harsh frosts

NCbecauseitspersonal Wed 15-Apr-20 13:59:43

Thank you @Siameasy and @ValerieSally xx

OP’s posts: |
ValerieSally Wed 15-Apr-20 14:02:59

You are very welcome. It's always a lovely feeling when the seeds pop their little heads above the soil. smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »