Talk

Advanced search

Treating temperature..,

(9 Posts)
Spainintherain Thu 09-Apr-20 09:11:32

Just asking in case my family get the virus: if you have had it what helped ring the temperature down? Paracetamol alone? Would wet flannels help? Sorry if this is a stupid question!

OP’s posts: |
imation Fri 10-Apr-20 07:37:39

Hi, So far I’ve had 39 for almost 5 days, paracetamol isn’t working, a wet cold flannel is nice, trying day and night nurse now

Spainintherain Fri 10-Apr-20 13:19:35

Thanks for reply. I saw on news if your temp doesn't go down after 5-7 days you need to seek medical help. Sounds like the flannel isn't helping much either! Get well!

OP’s posts: |
gingergingerginger Fri 10-Apr-20 13:22:24

Doesn't a fever help the body fight a virus? Might not be necessary to bring it down unless it's unbearable.

pocketem Fri 10-Apr-20 13:22:54

The fever helps the body to fight the virus. You don't necessarily need to bring it down

WanderingLost167 Fri 10-Apr-20 13:29:22

Bringing it down doesn't help you get any better than leaving it, in fact it may be beneficial to leave it

Porcupineinwaiting Fri 10-Apr-20 13:34:08

Mma, the paramedics told me that fever isnt terribly effective at fighting viruses as they are tough little buggers, it works better with bacteria or parasites apparently. I was advised to try and bring any fever over 38.5 down w paracetamol.

BahHumbygge Fri 10-Apr-20 13:49:42

John Campbell did a video on youtube a few days ago. Basically fevers are beneficial to fight the infection. Best not to take anti-fever drugs, unless it gets severe. Can’t remember what the exact parameters were in terms of temperature. And there was a recent French study saying not to take ibuprofen as that lead to worse outcomes.

everythingisginandroses Fri 10-Apr-20 14:45:23

I found that paracetamol didn't do much, but better than nothing when I was really hot and uncomfortable. My temp didn't exceed 38.5 but took well over a fortnight to normalise. Hope you feel better soon, OP flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »