Talk

Advanced search

Car Insurance

(7 Posts)
TuscanGreen Wed 08-Apr-20 19:39:27

I am hardly driving my car at the moment and I expect that will be the same for a few months. It does not appear on first glance that the insurance companies are taking any notice of this and keeping the cash rather than offering a reduced premium. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

OP’s posts: |
Fidgety31 Wed 08-Apr-20 19:41:47

I don’t expect a reduced premium because I’m still using my car for work . I’m still parking it on the street where it could get damaged or stolen .
I would prefer a reduced road tax as I’m not driving as far .

Greysparkles Wed 08-Apr-20 19:43:25

Why would they offer a reduced premium?

If you're not using it, cancel the insurance and sorn the car

TuscanGreen Wed 08-Apr-20 19:48:35

Companies in the US are offering refunds because your premium tends to go up the higher mileage you do, if you aren't driving (generally) your risk is lower

inwood Wed 08-Apr-20 19:52:52

No it hadn't even crossed my mind to expect one.

AlexaShutUp Wed 08-Apr-20 19:57:19

If you aren't using the car at all, you can cancel the policy and do a sorn for the car, as a previous poster has suggested.

If you're still driving it, then I don't think you should expect a reduction really - if you did more milage than anticipated when you took out the policy, I doubt you'd offer to pay more for the insurance, so if you're doing fewer miles, I think you just have to suck it up.

TuscanGreen Wed 08-Apr-20 20:09:22

Ok thanks everyone. Will have a think as to whether to take completely off the road

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »