Talk

Advanced search

About to have a mental breakdown...

(6 Posts)
Bubblemonkey Wed 08-Apr-20 13:51:30

I have asthma & one gp said to isolate. I spoke to my normal gp yesterday who said I need to shield. I’m on 4 different medications for my asthma & I’ve been started on either my 4th or 5th course of steroids since April last year. No hospital admissions, community based treatment.

My employers saying I either need a sick note which they aren’t doing for anything covid related, a special letter from the government... or I basically need to fuck off & die. I’ve sent them my doctors record where it says high risk & the documentation which I’ve been told twice is sufficient which they’re refusing to entertain.

They’ve said they can find a low risk area to work in, but it isn’t possible if I’m not supposed to be leaving my garden. I’m currently trying to source a private sick note because my life is worth more than £9 an hour.

What do I do now? This is all extra stress I don’t need 😭😭

OP’s posts: |
BamboozledandBefuddled Wed 08-Apr-20 13:57:35

Would it be worth trying to contact ACAS and see if they can give you any advice? If you've got documentation from a GP you can send in, then your employer should be accepting that but I'm not sure if they can be forced to. Hope you can get something sorted.

BakedCam Wed 08-Apr-20 13:58:40

OP, take a deep breath...

Does your employer have an HR department?

You've been advised to self isolate, but are not on the shielded list? Is that correct?

I think you have to weigh up what is in your best interests. From what you have said, your employer had offered adjustments to accommodate you, you're saying this isnt possible.

If you believe you should be on the shielded list, can you put that to your gp surgery? Are your medications on the list sent out a couple of weeks ago?

Bubblemonkey Wed 08-Apr-20 14:09:24

I've spoke to a private doctor who’s said based on my medication & my history, I’m eligible for a shielding letter which goes along with what my own gp said. My partners an icu nurse & he said he’d be worried if I caught it. It was only yesterday my gp said to shield so I won’t be getting anything any time soon as they only seem to be doing weekly post where I am.

OP’s posts: |
BakedCam Wed 08-Apr-20 14:13:34

Okay.

Can you go on the sick?

PanicOnTheStreets85 Wed 08-Apr-20 14:15:27

This might be helpful.

www.pulsetoday.co.uk/clinical/clinical-specialties/respiratory-/nhs-england-asks-gps-to-review-self-identified-shielded-patients-from-this-week/20040550.article

You can sign up for shielding yourself and then it will be reviewed by a GP. I don't know if you would get much in terms of documents though.

Can your GP who recommended shielding really not supply a note confirming that they said this?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »