Advanced search

Not sure if I will get furlough

(15 Posts)
ThatsNotMyName123 Wed 08-Apr-20 09:35:12

I work in the public health sector.

I've had a letter to say I have to shield for 12 weeks.

My boss has said they may not be able to apply for furlough as there is a grey area on businesses that are already funded by the government. If they can't furlough me, they have said it's SSP.

On the gov page it says something different. Picture attached.
I've read it as they will have to pay me as they have already received staff funding from the Gov

My bosses are a nightmare with things like this, and they always talk it around that they are right, and won't budge and inch.

Does anyone know anywhere where I can ask a query in regards to pay and my situation? Somewhere where it is a legal answer, and not just a news page etc.

Are HMRC contactable with this sort of query?

OP’s posts: |
coconuttelegraph Wed 08-Apr-20 09:39:48

That information doesn't suggest a grey area, it's seems clear. Is the issue on whether you get public funding?

ThatsNotMyName123 Wed 08-Apr-20 09:47:04

@coconuttelegraph I read it as clear too, but my employer told
Me the area is grey on government funded companies, and that they have had to ask HMRC about furlough.
There is 3 of us that have had a shielding letter, and all very anxious about pay.

OP’s posts: |
user1635896324685367 Wed 08-Apr-20 09:54:36

I think the issue is that if you're at home because you're shielding but otherwise would still have work to do, instead of being at home because the employer has no work for you, then you're not eligible for the job retention scheme anyway. It's only for people who would otherwise be made redundant due to lack of work.

coconuttelegraph Wed 08-Apr-20 09:55:06

It reads to me that they should continue to pay you as normal if they are Government funded on the basis that the the government is paying you anyway so furlough isn't needed.

Do you have an HR department?

user1635896324685367 Wed 08-Apr-20 10:02:23

Worded that badly, so actual wording:

Shielding Employees
You can claim for furloughed employees who are shielding in line with public health guidance (or need to stay home with someone who is shielding) if they are unable to work from home and you would otherwise have to make them redundant.

If your employer receives public funding to pay your wages then you wouldn't be furloughed through the scheme you would just be at home on normal pay, surely? I suppose maybe your boss means the "grey" area is where it says not to furlough staff just pay them when you'll be at home. But I'd have taken that as shorthand for not using the job retention scheme to claim the wages costs.

ThatsNotMyName123 Wed 08-Apr-20 10:03:29

@coconuttelegraph sadly not.
The business is owned and run by my manager. There is no one above them (married couple) so have to rely on government pages etc.
I will have to wait and see as I've not chose to stay off work, and would gladly go in and do my job. I'm not sure where I stand now I've had a letter though.

OP’s posts: |
ThatsNotMyName123 Wed 08-Apr-20 10:05:16

@user1635896324685367 when we had a staff meeting about this, we were told originally they would pay us full pay for 2 weeks and then 10 weeks at SSP.
Honestly, if they can get away with paying us then they will!

It's hard to say on here what they're like, and without being outing.

OP’s posts: |
coconuttelegraph Wed 08-Apr-20 10:06:45

I suppose you don't know the full details of how they are funded, ACAS might be the best place to start

Eskarina1 Wed 08-Apr-20 10:09:45

Would they consider Martin Lewis a good enough source as he's covered this this week and confirmed it with HMRC?

LizzieMacQueen Wed 08-Apr-20 10:17:00

Is this a privately owned care home? If so then this isn't really a public funded business it's just a business that (indirectly/directly depending on set up) receives part of it's income from public funds.

In which case those rules do not apply and SSP would be the correct renumeration whilst you self isolate - shit though that is.

coconuttelegraph Wed 08-Apr-20 10:23:41

You're right Lizzie and the same for private nurseries too, is that the case OP?

ThatsNotMyName123 Wed 08-Apr-20 10:58:45

@LizzieMacQueen @coconuttelegraph no it's a GP surgery. They own the surgery and manage the place and are partners etc.

We get funding per patient that is registered

OP’s posts: |
emmathedilemma Wed 08-Apr-20 11:01:49

Definitely contact ACAS if you don't believe what your employer is telling you.

coconuttelegraph Wed 08-Apr-20 11:04:26

I'd say a GPs surgery would class as wholly public funded so you should get full pay but you will still need something official to challenge your employer, my previous suggestion of ACAS still stands.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »