Talk

Advanced search

Are people going to keep their cats in / attempt this?

(10 Posts)
AdvicePleaseThanks Wed 08-Apr-20 09:16:25

www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52204534

*Thread title edited by MNHQ - changed from 'cars' to 'cats'*

OP’s posts: |
AdvicePleaseThanks Wed 08-Apr-20 09:16:46

CATS

OP’s posts: |
YesItsMeIDontCare Wed 08-Apr-20 09:19:37

There isn't a single case of a pet dog or cat infecting a human with Covid-19,

So not really necessary.

(Owner of an indoor cat for other reasons.)

keentohelp Wed 08-Apr-20 09:21:29

Haha! When I read the title I began to wonder how my car sitting on the street could pose a risk to me...

And no, I won't be keeping my cat in, until the government or royal college actually advises me to.

Petiolaris Wed 08-Apr-20 09:22:24

I’m not worried about pets getting infected. However if I had a cat I would be worried about vigilantes killing them because the news is saying they spread infection. So I still think people should keep their cats in.

ErrolTheDragon Wed 08-Apr-20 09:23:32

There are loads of other threads about this. The headline is misleading.

There is some advice to try to keep your cat in if possible, or minimise its time outside if you have CV.

https://www.cats.org.uk/help-and-advice/coronavirus/faqs-about-coronavirus-covid-19-and-cats

keentohelp Wed 08-Apr-20 09:24:36

@Petiolaris I think worrying about people deliberately killing them is a tad extreme. I do sincerely worry about the effect of this bbc article on some people's behaviour towards their neighbour's cats, but I really don't think we need to worry about people actually killing them!

ButteredCrumpet29 Wed 08-Apr-20 09:28:54

Yes I am. Mainly because I think people who don’t like cats will use this as an excuse to hurt them. I’ve got nine rescue cats. It’s going to be interesting!!!!

Highlandcathedral Wed 08-Apr-20 09:41:29

This is a major misquote by the bbc. The British Veterinary Association actually said if you were an infected household it MIGHT make sense to try to keep your cat in. Especially if they are a cat that likes to visit other folks houses. So please don’t worry. Keeping cats in will cause lots of stress related problems.

Solina Wed 08-Apr-20 11:47:06

I saw this but our cat is scared of outdoors other than the garden so he isn't going to be going far anyways.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »