Talk

Advanced search

Can cleaners still work during Coronavirus...

(12 Posts)
MyFavouriteColourIsBlue Tue 07-Apr-20 22:43:31

...if they wear a mask and stay 2m away from anyone else in the house?

I’m talking about cleaners going to someone’s house to clean, so domestic and not industrial.

OP’s posts: |
WorraLiberty Tue 07-Apr-20 22:46:16

I Googled this for you. It seems they can?

Can cleaners still work during lockdown?
Tradespeople working alone and those providing a community service are safe to continue.

But Government guidelines say that work should be done at a two-metre distance from other people.

Alos no work should be carried out in a house where an individual is self-isolating or being shielded from coronavirus.

The gov.uk website also confirms that work carried out in people’s homes can continue “provided that the tradesperson is well and has no symptoms”.

All of this advice would apply to cleaners during lockdown.

CoffeeandPainting Tue 07-Apr-20 22:48:15

I think the "house" owner would be taking the piss....

Unless the cleaner insisted she wanted to come.

Our cleaner hasn't been since all this started and theres no way we would ask her

CoffeeandPainting Tue 07-Apr-20 22:49:10

Our gardener has been.... But no-one is out there with him 😂

Just the occasional deer

tiggertogger Tue 07-Apr-20 22:53:17

She shouldn't come and, if you are able, you should still pay her.

CalmYoBadSelf Tue 07-Apr-20 22:53:53

My cleaners initially planned to carry on but at a distance. I suggested they didn't come as I am asthmatic and in the vulnerable category and they have lots of clients I know nothing about but I offered to pay them anyway. They have since decided not to work until this situation ends

LilyPond2 Tue 07-Apr-20 22:54:38

My understanding is that the legal position is that that it is legal to go to work if it's impossible for you to work from home. Whether it's actually sensible for domestic cleaners to be going into other people's homes is another matter.

LilyPond2 Tue 07-Apr-20 23:03:42

A cough or sneeze can travel more than 2 metres, so if the cleaner does go in, it woul be safer for the house occupants and the cleaner never to be in the same room at the same time.

HerRoyalNotness Tue 07-Apr-20 23:37:14

My neighbour has their cleaner still. The family sit out in the back yard while they’re cleaning.

MyFavouriteColourIsBlue Wed 08-Apr-20 08:23:14

Thanks all.

OP’s posts: |
Realitea Wed 08-Apr-20 08:56:52

I’m a cleaner and all my work has stopped. One is still paying me at a reduced rate but all the others don’t.
It’s a risk bringing someone into your household, even if they’re cleaning.
I wouldn’t do it right now

bigbluebus Wed 08-Apr-20 09:05:59

Cleaners have stopped going to my friends' houses. The stories of them cleaning their own houses are hilarious - from using the wrong products to how long it takes to clean the bathroom.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »