Talk

Advanced search

Please do not take supermarket delivery slots unless NEEDED

(216 Posts)
Chester1980 Tue 07-Apr-20 18:59:55

This is a plea to anyone who is not vulnerable - please do not take delivery slots from supermarkets. My elderly father lives hundreds of miles away and I cannot get him a slot because they’re all unavailable. This is despite him having an NHS shielding letter. We can’t even get through to any customer services for help.

If you can get to a supermarket and you’re not vulnerable, please think of others who cannot get out and release your delivery slot.

Quarantino Tue 07-Apr-20 19:02:00

Is he on the list with the supermarkets he's registered with as vulnerable?

(Btw - unfortunately none of us know how the virus will affect us if we catch it, so everyone's potentially vulnerable) sad

Maybe111 Tue 07-Apr-20 19:03:39

Chester please do not take slots for people even more vulnerable please

Northernsoullover Tue 07-Apr-20 19:05:22

Can you get through to his local council?

Thescrewinthetuna Tue 07-Apr-20 19:05:42

Have you tried the Morrisons essential food box? Delivered by DPD?
www.morrisons.com/food-boxes/boxes

Chester1980 Tue 07-Apr-20 19:06:01

He is - there’s nothing available for 3 weeks.

I know everyone is vulnerable - but some much more than others. My dad is 78, and in poor health. I doubt he would get a ventilator with the shortages.

Snowflakes1122 Tue 07-Apr-20 19:06:30

Has he been given details of the free food parcels that should be being distributed to the extremely vulnerable?

I’m looking into this for an elderly man I know

Musseswoofles Tue 07-Apr-20 19:06:53

Have you registered on the gov.uk site? The supermarkets will get in touch advising your how to get the slots as a priority customer. You need to go through the site and tick the box saying you’ve received your letter

mintyneb Tue 07-Apr-20 19:08:36

I had an email from Tesco to say the govt had passed on my details and I was now eligible for priority slots.first one I can get is 27th April

Chester1980 Tue 07-Apr-20 19:08:42

Thank you @Thescrewinthetuna. I’ll check it out. I was trying to get on the Morrison’s website today and they had a waiting list...just to get on the website.

Quarantino Tue 07-Apr-20 19:09:25

I hope this doesn't come across as rude, but there have been tons of threads like this. Have you followed the advice on them - finding local community/facebook groups etc that will be reaching out? What has he been doing until now?

SleepingStandingUp Tue 07-Apr-20 19:10:16

I feel for you and your dad Chester but if no one has a shout because someone else might be more vulnerable, no one would ever use them.

RuffleCrow Tue 07-Apr-20 19:10:20

What supermarket delivery slots?!

Thescrewinthetuna Tue 07-Apr-20 19:12:57

Here’s a link to another thread where people posted photos of what they got in the boxes
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/3858558-To-tell-you-about-Morrisons-food-boxes?msgid=95410696

I hope you can get something sorted. My own grandparents used this box and were delighted, they’ve ordered another for next week too

notanurse2017 Tue 07-Apr-20 19:14:29

I have an online supermarket delivery slot as I have no access to a car and would have to go to the shops a lot, which is to be avoided at the moment.

Notallthewine Tue 07-Apr-20 19:22:02

The thing is we are all scared that this virus also goes for younger, apparently fit people - people with young families. We are all having to make difficult choices at the moment and I choose to keep my slots because, despite being healthy, I refuse to risk leaving my children without a mum. That probably sounds awfully selfish but is my family less important than yours?

SinglePringle Tue 07-Apr-20 19:23:19

I have access to my parents Sainsbury's account (they are both classed as Extremely Vulnerable). They’ve revived the ‘priority booking’ email. I logged on yesterday and there was nothing for 7 days and the next two weeks had yet to be released.

I continually hit ‘refresh’ for 2 hours and got a booking for tonight (as in, one single slot for Tues appeared Mon).

The system is not perfect. The supermarkets announced a plan without real thought. That said, they are having to change their entire global work flow & have done pretty well in just 14 days. New call centres, new distribution centres, changes in products, changes in delivery, changes in how they stock and staff stores. A generations shopping habits upended and changed.

Keep hitting ‘refresh’. They are trying to help.

ree348 Tue 07-Apr-20 19:26:49

I had to book a delivery slot as my family had to self isolate for 14 days. I had the same problem as you, I emailed several supermarkets and Iceland got back to me the next day with a delivery slot. Maybe try that for your dad?

ChipotleBlessing Tue 07-Apr-20 19:26:57

Spend half an hour reading about how to help him and you will be able to get him food delivered. Does he have a nectar card, Tesco club card or shop regularly at Waitrose? Is there an Iceland near him? Is he on the extremely vulnerable list? Do you or he have Amazon Prime?

emmathedilemma Tue 07-Apr-20 19:27:45

Keep checking, I got click & collect slots from 2 different supermarkets for me and my parents today for Monday but previously when I've looked there's not been anything. My parents have managed to get milk delivery which also do fruit and veg boxes and I'm sure they could get other supplies from local sources if needed.

ChipotleBlessing Tue 07-Apr-20 19:30:07

Oh, just read you gave up on Morrison’s because there was a queue to get on the website.

Sweetpea84 Tue 07-Apr-20 19:32:00

I’m the same as notallthewine. I have slots and a young family and Im protecting them by getting deliveries.

You need to get on Tesco and Asda after midnight and just keep trying it’s so bloody hard I agree.

EveryFlightBeginsWithAFall Tue 07-Apr-20 19:33:23

I had to sit on the Tesco website for 40 mins at midnight the other week but managed to get one for the 20th of April in the end

Qasd Tue 07-Apr-20 19:35:26

Umm i am fine with that but you know that means I have to go to the shops right?!..Mumsnet has far to many threads berating people for going to the shop for such luxuries as bread and milk! I am happy healthy and do not mind going freeing up delivery for those in need but I do not need insulting for doing so. And yes I will need to go more than once a week we don’t have a car and i cannot carry a weeks wiorth of shopping for four alone!

FlockofGulls Tue 07-Apr-20 19:35:34

If you can get to a supermarket and you’re not vulnerable, please think of others who cannot get out and release your delivery slot

You're absolutely right, but every second thread on here is full of people - young, able-bodied - special pleasing and arguing that they are the exception!

Good luck - around here, various local farm shops are doing fresh fruit & vegetable deliveries. If it's happening here, it must be happening elsewhere in theUK. Could that work?

flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »