Advanced search

Jet2 recommence on June 17th

(10 Posts)
NotExactlyHappyToHelp Tue 07-Apr-20 17:01:01

I’ve just seen this on their Facebook site. Does this genuinely mean they’ll be cracking on as usual by then or are they just trying to manage the amount of cancellations.

If it’s business as usual from then what do they know that we don’t?

OP’s posts: |
HadALockdownMeltdown Tue 07-Apr-20 17:08:02

I don’t know but I got a text from my hairdresser saying my appt had been rescheduled to 11th June (should have been this week )

BarbaraofSeville Tue 07-Apr-20 17:12:13

Well if they can predict the situation across their destinations in mid June and no earlier or later, they've got a hell of a crystal ball. Not one person on this planet has that information.

What they've done is saved themselves weeks of constantly having to review things as information changes and having to deal with customers ringing them all the time demanding to know whether they can expect to go on their May half term holiday or not.

They've simply decided that the chance of them being able to run flights before that time is low enough for them to decide it's more worthwhile to them to just cancel the lot and move everything until later in the summer, when hopefully, but far from definitely, they will be able to fly again.

Ylvamoon Tue 07-Apr-20 17:17:43

Furlough payments are set out to be for 3months ... so hopeful thinking that things will get "better" mid June, as in being allowed out to work. Kids probably off until September and heavy travel / holiday restrictions until the end of 2020.

NotExactlyHappyToHelp Tue 07-Apr-20 17:23:46

@BarbaraofSeville That’s an entirely rational thing for them to do but it’s very wooly wording don’t you think? Much better to lay it out clearly.

There’s a lot of people commenting on the post saying how glad they are that they’re booked for August.

OP’s posts: |
Mitzdob Tue 07-Apr-20 17:36:04

We had email from tui saying they hope to be operational by July 1st. Guess they've got to make some sort of plans otherwise it would be a right nightmare when all ends

Elliesmama87 Tue 07-Apr-20 17:39:55

Has anyone heard from them yet about getting a refund. It seems to be worded that they are just going to offer to change booking dates

BarbaraofSeville Tue 07-Apr-20 17:51:30

I don't think the wording is woolly at all, if anything, it suggests a certainty that they couldn't possibly have any certainty about 'we have taken the decision to recommence flights on 17 June'.

They might be able to, but I really have no idea how realistic that is. It would have been better to say that they hope to recommence from 17 June, which would still have the message that no-one is flying before 17 June, but we might see improvements from that date, but not making any promises as all they can do is review the situation closer to the time.

As it happens we had flights booked with jet2 for the last week in April, so have known for a while that they are not happening, especially as Spain will be in strict lockdown until at least the day we get there.

It's a flight only booking and our accommodation is with friends so we only need a refund on the flights, this has not yet been offered and that's what we'll be asking for, rather than a rebook, if we don't go away in the Spring, we can't really go before mid September and we'd rather just start again later in the year, rather than having to commit to dates so far ahead now (we never book a holiday more than about 2 months in advance)

I'd be very cautious about taking vouchers from airlines or tour operators at the moment, as these could become worthless if they went bust. People might have other avenues for refunds, such as ATOL/ABTA or credit cards, but I'm going to be pushing for the cash as is my right.

BarbaraofSeville Tue 07-Apr-20 17:54:53

We haven't heard anything from them despite the booking being less than 3 weeks away, just a couple of emails saying they'll be contacting customers in date order to rebook, or you can do it yourself on the website.

One thing I'm curious about is that they say they offer a fee free date change, but I assume that if the flight price on the new date is more expensive that they'll expect you to pay the difference? The flights we had booked were quite cheap for Jet2 , and I can't see anything for the same price later in the year, even if we did want to rebook with them.

RarePackOfLooRoll Tue 07-Apr-20 18:08:52

They are just trying to manage the situation in chinks I think.
No one knows where we'll be in May, June or October even.
It makes perfect sense to cancel wverythingbupto a certain point. Deal with the refunds or rebooting and see where they are nearer to 17th June before making the next decision, which could be to cancel more holidays until another date sayb17th July or recommends some flights.
It will all depend on UK gov travel advice and that of any countries they travel too as well as where we are as a nation with Covid.
They want to protect as many bookings/business as they can so doing this gives them flexibility and stops a mad rush of every man and his dog blocking communication channels for a refund, instead they have 8/9 weeks worth of bookings to review.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »