Talk

Advanced search

China must have majorly downplayed their figures, right?

(205 Posts)
Louise000000 Mon 06-Apr-20 21:27:55

We are now over 5,000 deaths and China just over 3,000. This isn't even possible is it, how have they managed to cover up their true numbers here?

Haffiana Mon 06-Apr-20 21:31:09

It is their second wave figures that are wrong. The ones that aren't there after they relaxed lockdown. Suddenly they only have a few cases that are directly as a result of people flying in from other countries. No way is that true.

covetingthepreciousthings Mon 06-Apr-20 21:31:15

Yes I find it hard to believe that European countries are overtaking their death toll too.. but then again, do also remember seeing the videos of citizens being welded shut into their homes and people being dragged into boxes to be taken to hospital.

So they did have far far stricter lockdown conditions than we will ever have.

I can't remember if this is wrong, but I seem to remember WHO officials going to China and they seemed to be satisfied that the numbers weren't misreported? Can't verify this though.

MayTheGodsBeEverInYourFavour Mon 06-Apr-20 21:32:03

I agree. However the UK is also in effect covering up numbers by not testing/including people in the statistics unless they go to hospital.

But YANBU. I find it difficult to believe the Chinese figures. Especially how they've got the number of daily deaths down so extremely quickly.

MashedSpud Mon 06-Apr-20 21:33:58

Lying to avoid accountability.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Mon 06-Apr-20 21:36:37

Do you think they feel guilty for unleashing this on the whole world?

covetingthepreciousthings Mon 06-Apr-20 21:37:01

I agree. However the UK is also in effect covering up numbers by not testing/including people in the statistics unless they go to hospital.

This too, I would be very interested to see the actual figures for the U.K.

Louise000000 Mon 06-Apr-20 21:37:27

I knew their lockdown was much stricter but they have had this virus since december, we have only had it about 6 weeks max? Something not adding up!

AlbusSeverusPotter13 Mon 06-Apr-20 21:39:58

@Louise000000 there’s a school of thought (can’t remember which research university) that believes we’ve had it since late December/January.

midgebabe Mon 06-Apr-20 21:39:59

But they grew from one and we imported many simultaneously
And they locked down relatively early compared to us

Dimosaur Mon 06-Apr-20 21:40:13

I think they also have a vaccine for said man made virus....

Pollyputthepizzaon Mon 06-Apr-20 21:40:27

U.K. is also hugely covering up numbers. I live in guernsey and we have 160 cases. The government said if we reported like the U.K. did (ie only reported hospitalised cases) we’d have 5.

Bubu222 Mon 06-Apr-20 21:42:07

If anything Chinese figures are more accurate than most European countries including U.K.. China tests and includes people without symptoms yet U.K. / Sweden doesn’t even test people with mild symptoms. WHO went to China to investigate very early on and China reported daily number to WHO. If you read the lancet / nature / science articles and math models, you will realise how difficult (if not impossible) it is to fake numbers, all parameters are interrelated, you cannot simply tweak one to achieve a better result. China had very strict lock down rule, unlike U.K. people are still hanging out in the park over the weekend, three months after China alerted every single country how serious the disease is. So pointing finger now just seem a bit childish - I don’t want to take responsibility for my own incapability and oversight, let’s find some scapegoat.

Haffiana Mon 06-Apr-20 21:44:16

I think they also have a vaccine for said man made virus....

Your tin foil hat is slipping. hmm

TheCatsPjammas Mon 06-Apr-20 21:44:18

Yabu

China acted fast, super strict lock down, proper contact tracing. Extensive testing.

E.g Just look at Austria which took measures very early on, Italy’s neighbour, 220 deaths. They have it under control.

IamHyouweegobshite Mon 06-Apr-20 21:44:29

I believe they have fiddled the figures, you look at a massive city such as Beijing, how densely populated it is, and apparently only 5 people died in that city?

Louise000000 Mon 06-Apr-20 21:44:53

Not pointing any fingers here just opening a discussion that just occurred to me as I went to look at my once a day news

BrooHaHa Mon 06-Apr-20 21:45:04

I can't remember if this is wrong, but I seem to remember WHO officials going to China and they seemed to be satisfied that the numbers weren't misreported? Can't verify this though.

The WHO is corruptible.

Bluntness100 Mon 06-Apr-20 21:45:22

However the UK is also in effect covering up numbers by not testing/including people in the statistics unless they go to hospital

There’s a huge difference between being very open about your testing strategy and numbers and positive cases and out right lying about the deaths. And potentially the cause.

I believed the director of the who when he said the numbers were accurate, but America is calling for his resignation now. Saying he’s either incompetent or colluding.

I’m starting to wonder too , as it seems unlikely the numbers were so low. They are saying it is more likely there were forty thousand deaths, because they were the first hit and before they knew It. It is starting to look logical. It spread globally. Why didn’t it spread in China.

But more than that they are saying possibly it wasn’t from the market. It was from the lab in Wuhan. Which our government has stated it is not discounting.

If that’s true it is even worse. It’s not a wild animal or poor Hygiene issue, it’s a virus spread from a lab.

I hate conspiracy theories but China is a concern right now in terms of how much transparency there was there and if the world has been misled.

Louise000000 Mon 06-Apr-20 21:46:16

Ps I wasn't asking if any one thought I was being unreasonable or not, just a discussion topic grin
Ive posted in the coronavirus thread

pocketem Mon 06-Apr-20 21:46:37

China never went for a herd immunity plan to deliberately allow 60% of their population to get infected

China provided adequate PPE for their healthcare workers and masks for their general population

China built two new hospitals in a week

Fed up of all the China bashing. Yes their figures may be dodgy but they've handled this better than the West

LooseleafTea Mon 06-Apr-20 21:47:51

I haven’t read the thread but I was suspicious as far back as February and a reporter in China managed to speak to a crematorium in Wuhan who just weren’t coping with the numbers coming in and in made no sense next to the official figures

Bluntness100 Mon 06-Apr-20 21:48:52

I would say though in defence of China, they have loads of medical equipment they didn’t need as they stocked up, and they have sent them to us, we are currently right now re branding them to English. I think it’s masks etc. They are trying to help, but the concern and confusion over their numbers remains.

LooseleafTea Mon 06-Apr-20 21:49:12

pocketem at the same time if they’d been more transparent couldn’t other countries have been better warned and therefore better prepared for understanding the serious nature of it?

LooseleafTea Mon 06-Apr-20 21:50:08

I agree I don’t like any bashing and so glad to hear countries helping each other

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »