Talk

Advanced search

If you still think most of those dying from it were going to die soon anyway, please watch this

(33 Posts)
PuzzledObserver Mon 06-Apr-20 18:04:32

..... and then stay home

youtu.be/ejlbCmRJMW4

NoLongerAnEasyTarget Mon 06-Apr-20 18:06:57

It's a 20 min long video. Can you summarise it?

PuzzledObserver Mon 06-Apr-20 18:34:08

He’s an intensive care doctor in South East Wales - one of the hotspots.

The biggest demographic in ITU is people in their 50’s, though there are plenty of younger ones too. He said there will have been some triage before patients reach ITU, i.e. someone has made the decision that a given patient will not benefit from ventilation, so they don’t send them.

Most do NOT have serious underlying health issues and were fit and well before they caught Covid-19.

He says they are coping at the moment capacity-wise, but numbers are still rising.

People need to keep on following the instructions, that way they will continue to cope and be able to provide critical care to all who would benefit from it.

ViciousJackdaw Mon 06-Apr-20 18:34:27

Welsh doc says everyone in intensive care is under 50. Advises us all to stay in.

lljkk Mon 06-Apr-20 19:07:35

Locally the biggest demographic is age 70+. (shrug)

1moreRep Mon 06-Apr-20 19:10:49

i read on here that most of the ones are obese who have "no underlying health conditions".

never had being fit and healthy been so important.

Foobydoo Mon 06-Apr-20 19:11:24

Why the shrug @lljkk?
A 70 year old could still have 10 to 20 good years ahead of them.

Hearhoovesthinkzebras Mon 06-Apr-20 19:14:06

I mentioned this interview on here the other day in relation to a "they were all going to.die soon anyway" post.

lljkk Mon 06-Apr-20 19:15:48

I wonder what avg life expectancy is for age 75 yr old. I bet median is about 5 yrs, and that's without severe health problems.

Lumene Mon 06-Apr-20 19:16:14

i read on here that

I wish people wouldn’t post stuff they read on the internet somewhere with no proper source or info. Could you at least link the thread?

Fatted Mon 06-Apr-20 19:20:06

Yes, but he's only seeing the extreme cases in hospital. Not all of the ones who are staying home and recovering.

He's also not seeing all the domestics and suicides as a direct result of the financial impact lock down is having. I'm not seeing anyone die of coronavirus, but I am seeing people die from domestic violence and suicide every single day right now. I don't agree that the many should suffer to save the few. I know my opinion is not popular. But I am entitled to it in the same way you are entitled to yours.

Orangeblossom78 Mon 06-Apr-20 19:23:16

70% are overweight and male, mostly over 50. There are links with metabolic syndrome and diabetes. Pre-Diabetes and overweight would count as 'fit and well' as not diagnosed.

Orangeblossom78 Mon 06-Apr-20 19:24:59

www.theguardian.com/society/2020/mar/28/coronavirus-intensive-care-uk-patients-50-per-cent-survival-rate

South Wales is also a very deprived area and not known for its health

Foobydoo Mon 06-Apr-20 19:29:13

There are some really horrible comments on here.
Do you honestly think that governments all over Europe would shut down with the impact that has if it really only killed those with a very low life expectancy.
This is obviously much worst than we have been told.
Any death either direct and indirect awful and there will come a point where they have to try and balance that, However, to do nothing would have been catastrophic and we would have put medical professionals at a much higher risk than they already are.

LoadsaBlusher Mon 06-Apr-20 19:42:21

Very good news clip

Amotherof6 Mon 06-Apr-20 19:55:41

Thank you for sharing the video.

Sad and makes me more angry at the selfish who won't follow the guidelines

Isadora2007 Mon 06-Apr-20 20:20:20

I read on here that most of the ones are obese who have "no underlying health conditions".

That’s not possible- obesity IS a health condition that puts your organs under daily stress and has significant impact on life expectancy and health. This is never been more apparent than at this time- and maybe all the people banging on about sticking to guidelines from the government will also be now sticking to less than 14 units of alcohol per week and getting their daily exercise in (even after the lockdown) and getting their BMI below 25... we will see.

SleepyTiger39 Tue 07-Apr-20 06:31:21

Yes it is BMI.

bellinisurge Tue 07-Apr-20 07:22:13

"I wonder what avg life expectancy is for age 75 yr old. I bet median is about 5 yrs, and that's without severe health problems."

My mum died of copd/lung cancer aged 86 a few years ago. She even survived pneumonia that she developed in hospital. She smoked all her life from her early teens and gave up in her late 70s. She was therefore not a health freak or especially fit. She lived long enough to get to know my dd properly.
If you think people aged 75 are all expendable and likely to die anyway, you are a fucking idiot.

Unihorn Tue 07-Apr-20 07:28:55

As a PP said, the health in this area is poor as well. The average life expectancy for men in the valleys is mid to late 50s unfortunately.

Orangeblossom78 Tue 07-Apr-20 09:17:12

I noticed that in the stats South Wales and the Midlands also had peaks in past flu epidemics. And in larger cities, there was a link with social deprivation and health sadly. Wonder if it might be similar with this also.

OchonAgusOchonO Tue 07-Apr-20 09:23:57

@Fatted- I'm not seeing anyone die of coronavirus, but I am seeing people die from domestic violence and suicide every single day right now.

What is your job/role, that you are seeing this?

Baaaahhhhh Tue 07-Apr-20 09:26:07

The key word here though is "most". Statistics throughout the world have confirmed that the majority of deaths from Covid are over 80. That doesn't mean that younger people won't die, or that there are not regional differences. Here in the UK and US our stats are leaning towards BAME communities and the Obese.

DianaT1969 Tue 07-Apr-20 09:56:05

@Fatted - if you are seeing suicide and domestic violence on a daily basis, I assume that you work in social services. Before we ever heard of Coronavirus people were committing suicide and there was domestic violence. I know that those numbers will be exacerbated now. But we have all sections of society dying from Coronavirus, including health care workers. Soon expected to be 1,000 per day. We couldn't ignore that. If we had ignored it and let people drop like flies on the streets and in their homes, which is what would have happened without intervention, this would have caused HUGE MH issues too. You can see that, can't you?
Think about it - no spaces in hospital for anyone with the virus or other urgent issues. No rules in place at supermarkets. Everyone packed on commuter buses and tubes, not knowing if they'll be alive in 3 weeks. Employers forcing staff into work. People losing jobs and no access to benefits if they were too afraid to go in. That would have been terrifying.

Orangeblossom78 Tue 07-Apr-20 09:57:02

More info here on the latest figures www.mumsnet.com/Talk/coronavirus/3873419-Report-stats-on-COVID-19-patients-in-critical-care

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »