Talk

Advanced search

Smoking increases risk x 14

(74 Posts)
ivykaty44 Mon 06-Apr-20 09:43:19

Of getting this virus and having complications

So why isn’t more being done to stop people smoking? Free patches being given out etc

OP’s posts: |
Igotthemheavyboobs Mon 06-Apr-20 09:51:58

Is smokers can afford the cigarettes, they can afford the patches.

inflam Mon 06-Apr-20 10:00:33

So why isn’t more being done to stop people smoking? Free patches being given out etc

Are you serious hmm

middleager Mon 06-Apr-20 10:04:29

Can I see the evidence please? Not being goady and I'm not a smoker, it's just I haven't seen anything scientific to date about smoking and C19..

iwantitalltobenormal Mon 06-Apr-20 10:05:03

This is not true.

iwantitalltobenormal Mon 06-Apr-20 10:06:00

how can smoking increase the risk of 'getting' the virus if you were to say ; be self isolating alone for 14 plus days without leaving the house at all ?

PuzzledObserver Mon 06-Apr-20 10:08:39

The NHS already has a pretty comprehensive stop smoking service, which AIUI includes patches on prescription.

Smoking rates have been falling steadily and are the lowest they’ve been in a long time - around 20% of adults now, from memory.

TinnedPearsForPudding Mon 06-Apr-20 10:11:33

Smoking increases the likelihood of being very unwell from any respiratory illness. If smokers are admitted to ITU they will often be prescribed nicotine patches - managing nicotine withdrawal is an added complication which can be managed

daisychain01 Mon 06-Apr-20 10:14:05

So why isn’t more being done to stop people smoking?

Because we aren't in a dictatorship.

People already know the risks associated with smoking, it hasn't stopped those who have chosen to continue. Why would it be any different for the current epidemic.

vodkaredbullgirl Mon 06-Apr-20 10:15:53

Im waiting for some patches from Amazon.

Kazzyhoward Mon 06-Apr-20 10:16:48

Why would it be any different for the current epidemic.

Maybe if smokers are more likely to get complications and need medical intervention, they're taking scarce resources away from other people.

daisychain01 Mon 06-Apr-20 10:18:11

Of getting this virus and having complications

The risks are more associated with the fact that smokers' lungs are already compromised from smoking so getting a virus that attacks the respiratory system is going to place further burden on a failing lung capacity.

It's very sad, but not something that can be resolved by preventing those people from buying and using cigarettes, because it's their choice.

Iwantacookie Mon 06-Apr-20 10:18:40

Because the amount of shit that I hack up after a few weeks of not smoking wouldn't go well with coronavirus.
I'm desperately trying to quit but with so much stress it's hard especially in these times and to be honest I dont have the motivation now.
Think of it the same as a drug addict. Until they want to stop they cant.

Otherrooms Mon 06-Apr-20 10:19:49

* Is smokers can afford the cigarettes, they can afford the patches.*

At around £10 for 20 cigarettes,
I agree.
Smoker for 25+ years - now ex smoker.

Tableclothing Mon 06-Apr-20 10:20:48

Eh? An absolute fuckload has been done to stop people smoking over the past 20 years. Have you seriously not noticed?

Greysparkles Mon 06-Apr-20 10:25:33

they're taking scarce resources away from other people

This comment is bugging me.
Would you say the same of some who who had an underlying illness?
An overweight person?
An elderly person?

Who are the scarce resources for? If not for all people

Ellmau Mon 06-Apr-20 10:29:28

Bc the lung damage has already been done so stopping now wouldn't help. (I believe longer term it would help, but we've got the coronavirus pandemic NOW.)

Kazzyhoward Mon 06-Apr-20 10:29:38

Would you say the same of some who who had an underlying illness?

You can't do anything about an underlying illness, many of which aren't self inflicted.

You CAN do something about stopping/reducing smoking, and of course starting to smoke in the first place is an entirely voluntary/deliberate act.

PowerslidePanda Mon 06-Apr-20 10:29:54

Because the damage is already done - it takes years for the lungs to recover. If a long term smoker quits today and catches coronavirus in a couple of months, that couple of months of clean air won't have offset their risks.

PowerslidePanda Mon 06-Apr-20 10:31:02

Cross posted with Ellmau!

PotteringAlong Mon 06-Apr-20 10:31:26

If you’re willing to accept the already huge risks of things like cancer (which, let’s face it, will cost the NHS a lot more in treatment than Coronavirus will) then you’re not worried about Coronavirus.

Duchessofblandings Mon 06-Apr-20 10:31:35

If someone can afford cigarettes they can afford patches.

ChrissieKeller61 Mon 06-Apr-20 10:32:22

As an ex smoker I have more than paid for my ventilator through taxes, unlike that newborn with it's pure lungs. So I pull rank.

ChrissieKeller61 Mon 06-Apr-20 10:33:16

I do love the way we are already turning against each other though, didn't take long did it ?

LeggyLinda Mon 06-Apr-20 10:33:46

As a smoker I have been concerned about this.
I have read some studies - 1 saying smokers are less likely to catch it but more likely to develop serious complications when they do. Another study says the opposite. And a 3rd has a conclusion that was a little too complicated for my non-medical brain to fully understand.
I even read one that said vaping was just as bad - I don’t know what to think.

Obviously, quitting smoking is good advice regardless and I’m being stupid trying to look for answers. But these are stressful times to be giving up and I’m not sure if the damage is already done or not.

I think patches and help clinics are available already (obviously suspended probably at the moment)

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in