Talk

Advanced search

Damn - it's the weekend and it's warm. AIBU to think this will lead to further restrictions

(212 Posts)
chomalungma Sat 04-Apr-20 08:06:05

Because some people will be fed up of their house and will go to the park

Or the beach
Or congregate in large groups
Or take their car on long journeys to places of beauty

I think this weekend is going to see guidance severely broken because of the weather - and this will lead to a crackdown

Bring on April showers

FriendToTheBitterLemon Sat 04-Apr-20 08:09:05

Yep, I had this very conversation with dh last night. Let’s hope we’re wrong.

wildthingsinthenight Sat 04-Apr-20 08:10:43

I think you're right

Lightas Sat 04-Apr-20 08:11:24

It may mean that more people spend time in their gardens so less likely to go out, we are, so will not be bothering with the daily exercise as doing garden jobs instead

GrumpyHoonMain Sat 04-Apr-20 08:13:41

I wanted to take DS somewhere local. Nothing against it where I live as driving to walk is essential as all the exercise we can do safely is in public areas. The police here are allowing households to exercise and have picnics etc provided social distancing is observed

KatherineJaneway Sat 04-Apr-20 08:14:40

It will if people won't stay home on Sunday I believe. I'm expecting loads of people, who think they are the only ones mind you, to up and go to the beach or to other parks / green spaces. I get the impulse, truly do, but there will be other sunny days you can go out when we are not in lockdown.

chomalungma Sat 04-Apr-20 08:16:58

I am lucky as I have a garden. I feel for all the people who have small flats and are cooped up in there. Exercise is fine, but staying in a flat in warm weather will be hard for some.

I can see the DM pictures already

cologne4711 Sat 04-Apr-20 08:17:47

It may mean that more people spend time in their gardens so less likely to go out which will lead to more bonfires. Not saying you will have a bonfire but someone had one near me last night and I was so angry.

It doesn't affect me if someone decides to drive to the beach for a day out, however stupid that may be. It does affect me if they have a bonfire.

There's no need to tighten the restrictions, just enforce the ones we have. If the police patrol the beaches, they can send people home if they think groups are not families.

It's interesting - I already run in a fairly social distancing way when I am on my own (crossing the road to avoid people etc though not as extreme as now) and if I think somewhere is going to be crowded I don't go unless I have to, so it would never occur to me to drive an hour to a busy beach (and potentially sit in a traffic jam too). But I think some people are drawn to crowds - it's FOMO - if it's crowded it must be good - whereas I am the complete opposite.

Patch23042 Sat 04-Apr-20 08:17:50

I think you’re right but I hope you’re not.

The Heath Sec is worried about this too, he mentioned it yesterday, and the PM tweeted about it.

I suspect that a lot of the garden jobs etc have already been done.

I don’t want April showers because of the impact on people in queues outside supermarkets, and kids won’t get to be outside in gardens, but maybe it would be a blessing.

Sindragosan Sat 04-Apr-20 08:17:51

Not everyone has a garden, I feel sorry for all those stuck in a flat and desperate to get out, especially as it gets warmer and this goes on longer. Fully expect tighter restrictions to appear.

Ethelfleda Sat 04-Apr-20 08:18:54

I hope you’re wrong OP but I suspect you might not be.
If you’re lucky enough to have gardens, just stay in those! Or have your one walk a day!

Marieo Sat 04-Apr-20 08:19:22

Probably, because some people are selfish and stupid. Staying in for one day of sunshine Vs having to stay in all summer where there will be warm weather because we can't get it under control, hmmm.

chomalungma Sat 04-Apr-20 08:19:38

It should really be the front page message on every paper today.

Unihorn Sat 04-Apr-20 08:20:09

We've had pleasant weather for two weeks now near me, it's only rained once since the whole shit show began. Plus weekends are slightly redundant at the moment surely as fewer people are working normal hours. I can't see it being that different.

Marieo Sat 04-Apr-20 08:20:26

@Sindragosan yeah I think about that too, although in theory I suppose if those of us with gardens staying in them, it would maybe it safer for those without a garden to get a bit of fresh air.

R2519 Sat 04-Apr-20 08:23:46

A friend in the police said that his force were considering closing slip roads to motorways and quizzing drivers where they were going before letting them on. I know it sounds draconian but there will be those who dont listen and think they can do what the want. I think it's time measures were stepped up and more power was given to the police to enforce the lockdown but that's just my opinion

Lightas Sat 04-Apr-20 08:24:43

I wish our garden jobs were done, we have enough to last several weeks, if not months, we bought a large supply of DIY stuff from Wickes before lockdown for tarting up our falling down outbuilding plus loads of planting still ends doing and if we run out of stuff the path slabs need re-laying

Don't need to have a bonfire as all waste is still being collected including garden and we would store any in the outbuilding that need to go to the tip.

Poppinns Sat 04-Apr-20 08:25:16

R2519 yes that is Draconian. What a country we've become.

gordongopherthe3rd Sat 04-Apr-20 08:26:06

Closing the motorways seems like a good idea but otoh it's easier to monitor motorways with all the cameras then the country roads so 🤷‍♀️

Whoareyoudududu Sat 04-Apr-20 08:26:15

Our neighbours have erected a huge gazebo in their garden. Will wait and see what they plan to do with it but I’m suspecting a party of some kind...

chomalungma Sat 04-Apr-20 08:27:29

You can use the traffic volume monitors to see how busy the roads are - and if the police are doing checkpoints.

JoyceDivision Sat 04-Apr-20 08:30:17

Agree op. I think Mothers Day was used to measure how the public would follow instructions and this resulted in further measures being put in place.

I think this weekend will be a further litmus test as to how strict the government will decide to be.

I have 2 school age DC, balancing wfh is a pain but I hope school is cancelled and as a minimum current measures are kept in place until end of current school year at least.

Mistystar99 Sat 04-Apr-20 08:31:15

YABU. If we are stuck in the garden, then I want a bit of sun!! Rain my arse, you miserable sod.

Bluesheep8 Sat 04-Apr-20 08:33:28

We will still have our one walk a day. I feel so lucky that we are surrounded by beautiful countryside and quiet rural places to walk without seeing many if any other people

MigginsMrs Sat 04-Apr-20 08:34:15

Closing the motorways seems like a good idea

No it doesn’t. People still need to make essential journeys.

I’ll be really fucked off if we end up with tighter restrictions because it’s not even meant to be that nice here! As someone else said above we don’t need tighter restrictions, the police can enforce the ones we have

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »