Talk

Advanced search

Is anyone else angry and embarrassed right now ?

(729 Posts)
Sapphiresunrise Fri 03-Apr-20 15:16:04

For the developed and resourced country that we are, we are potentially going to be overtaking Italy and Spain by the looks of things.
Australia and other nations have death rates in double figures. They were smart to close borders and even close regions. Canada the same. Denmark, etc. The list goes on. South Korea have the situation under control.
We were warned about this. I feel like majority of those deaths could have been avoided.

EmMac7 Fri 03-Apr-20 15:18:11

I’m very very angry.

We should’be adopted the South Korean approach from the get go. Lots of testing, meticulous contact tracing, and isolation of all cases and contacts.

Instead PHE relied on irrelevant flu models, gave poor advice to the public early on, and here we are.

MustBeDueSomeBetterFeet Fri 03-Apr-20 15:26:07

It's totally embarrassing. These scientific experts are showing themselves up for the arrogant liars they are.

So many people on these boards (the majority of whom have no expertise in these areas) have been concerned about the effect in the UK. Why weren't we preparing as a country? How are we constantly on the back foot?

Sapphiresunrise Fri 03-Apr-20 15:29:58

They are coming across as rather incompetent. It's embarrassing how little testing we are able to do compared to other countries, and the fact that flights are still allowed in from infected countries with no checks is absolutely appalling.
UNLESS it's UK residents returning who are put into immediate quarantine.

HairyFloppins Fri 03-Apr-20 15:30:03

I'm feeling very angry today. We had the added advantage of time and being an Island.

All those poor people that have died.

Clavinova Fri 03-Apr-20 15:30:53

Deaths per 1M/population though:

Spain 234
Italy 230
Belgium 99
Netherlands 87
France 83
Switzerland 66
UK 53

peppersneezes000 Fri 03-Apr-20 15:30:53

It's awful... But is not this what get wanted from the get go.... Herd immunity?
How many times did they throw that out,?

Sapphiresunrise Fri 03-Apr-20 15:33:24

We are not THE worst, but I fear we will get worse.

PertEllaTitsahoy Fri 03-Apr-20 15:33:56

Which scientific experts?

mbosnz Fri 03-Apr-20 15:34:57

I like NZ's. A grand total of 1.

Bluntness100 Fri 03-Apr-20 15:36:45

i feel like majority of those deaths could have been avoide

Gut instinct? Fifth sense?

hmm

Clavinova Fri 03-Apr-20 15:38:54

We should’be adopted the South Korean approach from the get go. Lots of testing, meticulous contact tracing, and isolation of all cases and contacts.

Seems unlikely;

"South Korea is also enforcing a law that grants the government wide authority to access data: CCTV footage, GPS tracking data from phones and cars, credit card transactions, immigration entry information, and other personal details of people confirmed to have an infectious disease."

"The authorities can then make some of this public, so anyone who may have been exposed can get themselves - or their friends and family members-tested."

"People found positive are placed in self-quarantine and monitored remotely through an app or checked regularly in telephone calls until a hospital bed becomes available.When this occurs, an ambulance picks the person up and takes them to a hospital with air-sealed isolation rooms."

"People found positive are placed in self-quarantine and monitored remotely through an app or checked regularly in telephone calls until a hospital bed becomes available.When this occurs, an ambulance picks the person up and takes them to a hospital with air-sealed isolation rooms."

"This approach comes at the cost of some privacy.South Korea's system is an intrusive mandatory measure that depends on people surrendering what, for many in Europe and the US, would be a fundamental right of privacy."

Sapphiresunrise Fri 03-Apr-20 15:39:00

No, acting sooner and doing more.

CrunchyCarrot Fri 03-Apr-20 15:39:07

Being an island is of no consequence when there were thousands of flights in and out daily and don't forget the Channel Tunnel. So no advantage bestowed on us that way. Spain and Italy also have excellent medical resources (better than us) so it's no protection.

Australia haven't been 'smart' - there are many issues there, loads of people unhappy with how their PM has handled (or rather NOT handled) the situation. They were very slow to close schools, borders etc. Their numbers will continue to climb.

We need to do much more testing here. We were slow to react.

DianaT1969 Fri 03-Apr-20 15:41:10

The blame can't be placed on the medical experts. They will have been giving recommendations as events and research unfolded. The UK deliberately stayed open for business. I'm sure the medical experts aren't the ones keeping a runway open at Heathrow right now with people arriving and no forced quarantine. They didn't admit entrybto Chinese tourists to spend money at the end of January for the Chinese New Year holiday, when the Wuhan outbreak was well underway. They couldn't have known until too late that Italian ski resorts were going to be a major hotspot.

The government could have cancelled Cheltenham and football matches at the beginning of March. It didn't.

Also, nobody put a gun to the heads of the 70,000 who attended Cheltenham. They went knowing the risks that they would not only get it, but spread it to the more vulnerable. Getting on a tube to get to work (no choice if you want to feed your family or deliver essential services), can't be compared to a fun day out where everyone is hemmed in and sharing catering and toilet facilities.

Wheresthebeach Fri 03-Apr-20 15:50:03

The testing and PPE is shocking and shambolic. Incompetence at the highest level. Large gatherings should have been stopped before shut down.

popim Fri 03-Apr-20 15:51:48

But other nations are behind us in terms of virus spread, just as we are behind Italy.

Australia have around 5000 cases so far which is why deaths are low but it will increase, especially after the Princess Ruby fiasco https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/mar/31/more-than-400-coronavirus-cases-australia-total-ruby-princess-cruise-ship

Not so smart there hmm

whatevernext1976 Fri 03-Apr-20 15:52:03

I run a holiday letting business in Egypt. Tourists were being evacuated and I had some British guests that were on repatriation flights last Sunday. They messaged me on arrival in the UK and said that there were no checks whatsoever on arrival - not so much as a temperature check. Egypt is a developing country and has its problems (many) but they repatriated Egyptian nationals from Heathrow earlier this week. On arrival, they were placed in quarantine where they will remain for 14 days. I find it shocking from the UK end that they are just allowing people in from overseas with no checks whatsoever.

Dodie66 Fri 03-Apr-20 15:53:48

Uk deaths yesterday 569. Today 684. More than Spain who have 587 today.

PlanDeRaccordement Fri 03-Apr-20 15:54:14

we are potentially going to be overtaking Italy and Spain by the looks of things.

No, the U.K. is not likely to “overtake” Italy and Spain if you actually look at the facts. Stop scare-mongering.

middleager Fri 03-Apr-20 15:54:19

Angry and ashamed.
Those countries on that list were ahead of us.

We squandered our gift of time and being an island.

I will never forgive the Govt for this.

EmMac7 Fri 03-Apr-20 15:55:11

The airport checks are irrelevant when the disease in rife in our community and we’re not bothering to test the thousands at home with it. It’s the rest of the world that should be closing it’s doors to us.

ItsJustTheOneSwanActually Fri 03-Apr-20 15:56:47

Just be grateful you’re not in the US sad

LesLavandes Fri 03-Apr-20 15:58:50

Please stop scaremongering

JustInCaseCakeHappens Fri 03-Apr-20 15:59:00

I am mainly sad.

We were mocked, ridiculed and abused when we dared pointing out that it was going to be a slaughter and even mentioning school closure was laughed at.

Any mention that the NHS was not coping at the best of time was laughed at by idiots pretending "that we were so lucky to have a NHS and some countries (which ones?) had it worst".

Of course the majority of deaths could have been avoided. We are an island for fuck sakes! The number of people reaching us unchecked, on a private canoe is very limited. We didn't do anything, and now it's too late.

You can only hope the medical staff and emergency personal finally get some protective equipment, and people stay home - which they are not doing at all. Popping to the shop for an easter egg or for some milk and bread is still normal.

It's going to be survival of the fittest of the highest level. Sadly for me, I am not sure I am among the fittest.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »