Talk

Advanced search

Antenatal care during pandemic

(7 Posts)
Merlina920 Fri 03-Apr-20 10:58:12

Hi there,

I’d like to hear your experience on how your antenatal care was affected by the pandemic as I’m at a complete loss and left with no information whatsoever about what I’m supposed to do.

I’m currently 17+5 weeks and I’m supposed to have my 18 weeks midwife appointment next week on Wednesday.

I’m with Guys hospital and received a text from them saying my midwife would be in touch shortly to discuss my scheduled apt but after a week I didn’t hear from her so tried to call her but was redirected to a Recorded voice message saying that the phone was switched off and the person not contactable (not really reassuring in case I would need urgent advice regarding my pregnancy...)

I then called the reception of the GP practice where my midwife works but they said all services were suspended therefore my apt as well (again, no info given about it)
I was then told to check guys hospital’s website, which I did and found out that my midwife practice was now closed and only 5 community midwife units were still open (thankfully one is really close from my place!)

The website said to write an email, which I did. I tried to call them for reassurance but none of their receptions are operating apparently as I couldn’t get through to no one.

I understand that it’s unprecedented time and I don’t want to sound ungrateful to the staff working in the current conditions who are certainly under lot of stress as well but that’s also my first pregnancy, away from my home country and I have no idea about the normal procedures already, meaning I’m really at a loss right now. I’m scared of losing my apt and then having to wait another month to be able to hear wether my baby is ok or not...

Just looking for some fellow mums to be in London and how they coped/ were taken care of during the virus mayhem.

Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
MsChatterbox Fri 03-Apr-20 11:07:11

Hiya, I saw my midwife for my 28 week appointment yesterday. She told me they are doing booking appointments over the phone and are cancelling 16 week appointments (is this the one you're referring to?). If first baby you should be seen at 25 weeks by midwife and have an anomoly scan at the hospital around 20 weeks. Hopefully someone will be in contact soon to arrange the 25 week appointment with you. Do you have your anomoly scan booked?

Merlina920 Fri 03-Apr-20 11:11:32

Hi @MsChatterbox!
Thanks for the info! Yes I think it’s supposed to be the 16 weeks apt. I was supposed to travel on my 16th week so that’s why it’s a bit later!
And yeah my 20th scan is all booked which is why I wanted to call them with a bit more time today to know if it’s gonna be canceled/postponed. Hopefully I’ll be able to know soon!

How was your apt? Did you feel like enough precautions were taken concerning the spread of the virus? Did you feel safe?
I’m a bit paranoid...

MsChatterbox Fri 03-Apr-20 11:17:37

I don't think they will cancel your anomoly scan, it's a lot more crucial than the 16 week appointment. I went to the hospital for my gestational diabetes test earlier in the week. I was very happy with the precautions (waiting in car until appointment, chairs spaced 2m apart). I took anti bac wipes with me to press buzzers and open doors with. When I got home I changed my clothes and washed my hands. I was nervous too but with all these precautions didn't feel too at risk. I think the supermarket would be more risky at this point. My midwife app I felt very happy with as the centre was actually closed and I was the first one in there that day. Its really nerve wracking I'm only leaving the house for antenatal care. The good thing is you can check about your midwife appointment at your scan if you've not heard anything by then!

SagaBauer Fri 03-Apr-20 11:19:51

In our trust 16 and 24 week appointments are by phone, but 28w onwards are at clinics but some have changed location. All scans are happening as booked but no partners allowed. No partners allowed in antenatal appointments either now actually. It would be worth looking for the maternity hospital Facebook/Twitter feed as ours puts regular updates on there.

Also if you have an urgent issue in pregnancy bleeding/pain/movements you should be ringing triage/day unit not community midwife.

MonaLisaDoesntSmile Fri 03-Apr-20 11:34:07

Appointments in my hospital are going ahead (London as well) as planned and we were told to attend unless instructed otherwise, which so far has not happened. I am seeing my MW in a local nursery which is 10 minute walk luckily, so not too far, but have to go for a scan to hospital next week. Again we were told to attend as usual, but take precaustions getting to and from.

Merlina920 Wed 08-Apr-20 12:26:04

Hey girls,

Thank you all for your answers.
In the end I got a call from my midwife for my 16 weeks apt. I felt it was really rushed but she told me my anomaly scan shouldn’t be canceled and that my tension and urine samples would be taken at that time.
So I’ll have more peace of mind in a couple weeks hopefully!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »