Talk

Advanced search

This is essential but where do we go?!

(14 Posts)
hollybollyy Wed 01-Apr-20 01:47:34

We just moved into a lovely house that we own (our first house) we realised tonight that on none of the 4 floors is there a single smoke alarm, and now I'm shitting myself that we'll die a fiery death. Im shielded so can't leave the house, DH is able to go out but where can we get a fire alarm tomorrow? Is b&q open? This is essential. God knows how the previous owner didn't have any smoke alarms, they have child locks and baby gates on every cupboard and door way but no fucking smoke alarms. Bizarre

MotheringShites Wed 01-Apr-20 01:49:39

I’m pretty sure B&Q are open as hardware stores were on the list of essential businesses. Otherwise surely you can order online?

Blizzardwhizard Wed 01-Apr-20 01:51:19

Yes hardware stores are open

Can you order online, are you a amazon prime member? Next day delivery

Argos sometimes do same / next day delivery

Butterer Wed 01-Apr-20 01:51:19

Amazon have a few on one day delivery..

hollybollyy Wed 01-Apr-20 01:52:12

I tried amazon but they're not delivering until May. Going to send DH out for a scout round tomorrow

hollybollyy Wed 01-Apr-20 01:52:32

Brilliant Argos! Thank you!

bookmum08 Wed 01-Apr-20 01:53:49

B&Q, Homebase, Wickes, independent hardware shops, Wilkos, B+M, Argos if you have a branch inside Sainsburys, Poundstretchers, Home Bargains are places that are likely to sell them. They count as essential shops so are allowed to open but I would check individual stores for their current trading hours.

bookmum08 Wed 01-Apr-20 01:55:49

I believe it's just the Argos branches within Sainsburys that are open and you have to order and pay online in advance and just pick up in store.

safariboot Wed 01-Apr-20 01:57:19

Most supermarkets sell them, as long as it's not a particularly small shop.

If you really can't find any for sale, contact your local fire station, they might be able to sort some out.

hollybollyy Wed 01-Apr-20 02:01:16

Thank you. Sorry I just lost my brain I should have just googled! Job number 1 when this is over is to sort out the windows so we can escape if we did have a fire as they're all small upper opening windows. I have a thing about fire. I was in one as a kid so I like to know what our escape route would be.

bookmum08 Wed 01-Apr-20 02:01:30

Don't forget to buy the batteries too!!

Oliversmumsarmy Wed 01-Apr-20 02:07:44

Hardware stores are open but you have to click and collect.

There are people outside the store and you don’t get out of your car

Sparklfairy Wed 01-Apr-20 02:15:48

Eeek I know fire anxiety (although I've never been in one like you so must be even worse). Once the anxiety sets in in the middle of the night it's impossible to sleep.

Luckily (or not so as it turns out) mine are so sensitive they go off using the toaster grin You'll be able to get them sorted at Argos I reckon, and as a PP said, don't forget batteries!

Hollyhobbi Wed 01-Apr-20 02:30:24

A lot of smoke alarms come with the battery anyway.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »