Talk

Advanced search

Schools Reopening?

(1000 Posts)
Liveforever86 Tue 31-Mar-20 08:13:24

When do you honestly think it will happen? And when do you want it to happen?!

Waxonwaxoff0 Tue 31-Mar-20 08:16:58

From a purely selfish point of view I want it to happen as soon as possible really, if it's safe enough to do so. DS is an only child and misses his friends. I'm not working at the moment due to being furloughed so businesses and schools reopening would be great.

Realistically I think September.

BrokenBrit Tue 31-Mar-20 08:17:42

September.

PeepeeDarling Tue 31-Mar-20 08:18:52

Hopefully June but agree realistically it will be after summer hols now. Unless the summer hols are shortened I wonder if that’s something the government may implement Is it feasible I don’t know?

TheABC Tue 31-Mar-20 08:20:23

The peak is supposed to be April, so restrictions may lift by the end of June.

Mentally, I am prepared for it to happen in September.

PurpleDaisies Tue 31-Mar-20 08:20:29

September.

Eggcited Tue 31-Mar-20 08:21:16

I work in a school and we have no idea when they will reopen. At the minute we're planning for September, but it's all pie in the sky. sad

Delatron Tue 31-Mar-20 08:21:21

Well everyone says September and I am not sure what that is based on but that’s what I keep reading.

I’m secretly hoping it will be June/July even for a month or so.

I think once we are through the peak ( a few weeks away?). Then if we are going to get a second wave they will surely want this to be in summer to avoid flu season. Therefore to me it makes sense to send kids back for a month in June/July. This also helps the economy and gets people back to work. Maybe they will stagger year groups going back?

Sending them all back in September doesn’t seem sensible as then you’ll have the next peak October/November?

They may be off again Dec/Jan to control the spread next winter?

cinammonbuns Tue 31-Mar-20 08:21:43

September. Even if things are settled in June then it would be utterly pointless to put children back in school for a few weeks in July.

Bewareoftheblob Tue 31-Mar-20 08:22:16

@PeepeeDarling Not feasible, teachers are still working until Mid July (either in school or at home) and don't get paid for the holidays so there's no chance they'll rock up at school in August.

zelbazinnamon Tue 31-Mar-20 08:22:39

September seems a very long way away...

I hope they go back at the beginning of June. I have no idea whether they will or not.

DippyAvocado Tue 31-Mar-20 08:22:42

I'm a KS1 teacher. I think they might relax things a bit around June time, knowing schools will be closed again end July/August. I hope so anyway as it will be so hard to resettle them if we wait until September.

underneaththeash Tue 31-Mar-20 08:22:47

I think early June, we'll be over the peak by then and all the emergency hospital beds will be open.

The economy would not cope if the schools were shut for longer and I think the government is fully aware of this. Far more people would die or have a significantly reduced quality of life if the economy was basically inactive for 6 months.

glotterbug Tue 31-Mar-20 08:23:11

Hoping for a few weeks before the summer hols but realistically think it will be September

SallyWD Tue 31-Mar-20 08:23:21

I spoke to a Headteacher. She said they really don't expect it to happen before September.

Eggcited Tue 31-Mar-20 08:23:58

I think if we reopen in June / July, there will be a lot of moaning at us closing for the summer just a few weeks later.

Delatron Tue 31-Mar-20 08:24:23

I think the government will be thinking about the economy. If we are over the peak by April then there may be an argument to send them in June and July.

Delatron Tue 31-Mar-20 08:25:43

If they go back first of June then they can get a good 7 weeks of education? It would help the economy/ their eduction/ social interaction significantly.

ilovemydogandMrObama Tue 31-Mar-20 08:25:52

Am wondering if the summer term will be cancelled?

If they have about 12 weeks off, am wondering if the government will try to sell it as the summer term?

Fact of the matter is that so many people are at home due to schools being closed, it may be viewed as most practical.

TheCountessatHotelCortez Tue 31-Mar-20 08:27:22

I honestly think for a couple of weeks in June to help with transitions, my eldest goes to secondary in August and my youngest starts primary, very unfair just to expect all those in the same boat to just adjust to it

cinammonbuns Tue 31-Mar-20 08:28:42

@ilocemydogandMrObama are you thinking they will cancel summer holidays? Not possible.

Teachers are still working from home and are contractually entitled to their summer holidays. So there can’t be any significant adjustment in term times.

PurpleDaisies Tue 31-Mar-20 08:29:43

They won’t cancel the summer holidays. Teachers are working now.

Heismyopendoor Tue 31-Mar-20 08:31:12

Schools break up in Scotland at the end of June. So I reckon they won’t go back till august here.

louise5754 Tue 31-Mar-20 08:32:00

@TheCountessatHotelCortez we don't have much choice

JustOneSquareofDarkChocolate Tue 31-Mar-20 08:32:31

Police offices, nurses and doctors in my area (SE London) have had their annual leave cancelled. And they are “contractually entitled” to that too - they are just accepting that this is a national crisis.

This thread is not accepting new messages.