Talk

Advanced search

Did anyone receive a food package today

(207 Posts)
Harrysmum2020 Mon 30-Mar-20 11:49:11

Today the door knocked and a man left a food package we asked who it’s from and they said the government my son is extremely high risk but we had no idea this was coming I will try post a pic of the letter that came with it

SuperLoudPoppingAction Mon 30-Mar-20 11:50:43

If it's only sufficient food for a week and isnt checked for allergies etc what do you do if you have an allergy and cant eat some?

Harrysmum2020 Mon 30-Mar-20 11:53:00

I don’t know hmm

Marieo Mon 30-Mar-20 11:54:34

Are you being serious super loud? It's a huge scheme which takes some seriously demanding logistic planning to organise. Yes, sadly, some people will have allergies which means that they won't be able to eat everything in it, but do you expect them to be packing bespoke boxes? FFS, is anything ever good enough?

Glad you recieved this OP, I hope that if you are finding it hard to get food any other way it relieves that stress at least so you can protect your son.

Marieo Mon 30-Mar-20 11:55:35

It even says you can contact the council who can sort something!

Chemenger Mon 30-Mar-20 11:55:51

It tells you what to do in the letter if allergies are a problem.

SherlocksDeerstalker Mon 30-Mar-20 12:07:44

I’d perhaps just not eat the stuff I was allergic to... but maybe that’s just me. Great scheme. It’s lovely to see things are starting to work.

NotEverythingIsBlackandwhite Mon 30-Mar-20 12:17:00

@SuperLoudPoppingAction

If it's only sufficient food for a week and isnt checked for allergies etc what do you do if you have an allergy and cant eat some?
It's fantastic that the government is doing this. Just read the letter and then tell them of your allergies and I'm sure they'll do their utmost to provide suitable replacements. It isn't a one-off either.

Yogawoogie Mon 30-Mar-20 12:19:35

That’s really lovely!

Dyrne Mon 30-Mar-20 12:21:16

This is brilliant. It’s a massive, all-encompassing project that has been turned around in record time. Of course there are going to be issues, but they’ve clearly stated in the letter what to do if there are dietary restrictions. They’ll tailor it as this goes on.

playthestation Mon 30-Mar-20 12:23:09

Mumsnet never fails. First reply as well.

ofwarren Mon 30-Mar-20 12:25:07

Can I just ask what is in it?
We have had a phone call saying we I getting one this week as my son is shielded.

LittleLittleLittle Mon 30-Mar-20 12:27:12

If you can't eat any of the food then store it as appropriate, email your local facebook Mutual Aid Covid-19 group, and offer the food to them so they can give it to someone else.

Oh and I was offered one on Saturday evening after I already got help.

thatgingergirl Mon 30-Mar-20 12:28:30

Oh, all those marvellous people who volunteered - it's working!

Kraejka Mon 30-Mar-20 12:41:57

It states very clearly what to do if you have allergies.
There are of course many people who have genuine allergies.

There are a significant number of people who claim to have allergies. I wonder if their allergies will suddenly disappear if there is no other food available.

OP, could you post a picture of the contents. I'd be interested to see it. I saw a picture in a newspaper online (forget which one) and it had a box of chocolate cereal in it but I didn't see any milk in there.

ChipotleBlessing Mon 30-Mar-20 12:43:50

Fantastic, it’s great that these schemes are starting to work! What’s in it?

Smellbellina Mon 30-Mar-20 12:45:11

Ooh what was in it??

WotnoPasta Mon 30-Mar-20 12:45:50

I’d be interested to see. DH is high risk, but DD is coeliac so I am still going to have to venture out to a big supermarket soon.

StrawberryTarts Mon 30-Mar-20 12:46:02

Yes intrigued to know what it includes!

cornishdreams1 Mon 30-Mar-20 12:47:28

Fabulous! They are delivering - thanks for posting.

Marieo Mon 30-Mar-20 12:48:03

@WotnoPasta it will say what to do if there are allergies. Is he on the shielded list?

LangSpartacusCleg Mon 30-Mar-20 12:49:34

Wow, first response!

I think this is actually bloody good of the government and a huge challenge to organise on short notice.

What was in it?

Sparky87 Mon 30-Mar-20 12:49:49

Intrigued to know what’s in it too!

BiBiBirdie Mon 30-Mar-20 12:52:42

Nope
My DS and DP both have chronic lung conditions. DS has high rate care DLA and we've had nothing, no letter explaining vulnerability, no parcel like that, nothing.
I am absolutely livid actually that once again he is forgotten and so is DP.
I have a call scheduled with DS consultant (appointment had to be cancelled and done on the phone) and will be asking why he has been forgotten again. It's bad enough that I have to beg for a flu jab every year and get told by some desk dragon he's not important enough as he isn't on her list.

Bestbe Mon 30-Mar-20 12:53:29

That’s great. I’m so pleased you’re getting food.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »