Talk

Advanced search

Our human rights have been taken away

(1000 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Soph7777 Sun 29-Mar-20 23:40:45

I know it's for a good cause.

I know it's to save lives.

But our basic human rights have been taken from under us, in the short space of a week.

I find this part most of all the scariest.

I'm really struggling mentally with government control to this extent.

How long can this last before people lose their minds and rebel?

CendrillonSings Sun 29-Mar-20 23:43:29

Rebel against what? There’s no human right to spread a deadly disease when a democratically-elected government has passed laws to prevent you from doing so.

yatapina Sun 29-Mar-20 23:44:12

I think everyone struggles with this because we are used to living in a free society (conspiracies aside) but most people will understand that this isn't just a removal of human rights.

There is reason for it and it will hopefully revert again sometime in the near future.

Fidgety31 Sun 29-Mar-20 23:44:38

I’m with you OP. They’ll be riots if this carries on too long .

EightNineTen Sun 29-Mar-20 23:45:41

The basic human right to catch a deadly disease, pass it amongst the population and possibly die from it ourselves?

Happy to have that human right put on hold!

Worriedaboutcovid19 Sun 29-Mar-20 23:45:52

I feel the same. I worry we won't be given all our human rights back once this is all over.

Ginfordinner Sun 29-Mar-20 23:45:59

You need to keep telling yourself that it's for the greater good.

Hopefulmidwife Sun 29-Mar-20 23:47:07

I know how you feel, OP. I was only saying this evening to my partner nothing has ever happened like this in our lifetime (29 years) or our parents. Apparently, the last time something similar was in the world wars. I'm not sure people will rebel as they know it's to save lives etc and we have to do it...however I do feel come the summer months people will find it harder to 'obey'

fallfallfall Sun 29-Mar-20 23:47:35

please share exactly what human right has been removed?

Ilovefoodnotgym Sun 29-Mar-20 23:47:46

I genuinely couldn’t care less about my human rights at the moment, I just want to survive this with my loved ones there at the end of it.
Sadly though, I think a lot of people will start to feel like this and it will mean people either ignore Lockdown or cause trouble. I hope it doesn’t come to that. The “government control” will keep more people alive and if people don’t have the decency to isolate themselves then I think this is necessary.

Soph7777 Sun 29-Mar-20 23:48:00

Every tie is see the NHS ad saying don't leave your house, I feel anxious, scared, sad, worried that the world has come to this.

I'm a person that hates being controlled, told what to do (working reason) or restricted. So I'm really REALLY struggling with this.

Now my whole life is being controlled.

Northernsoullover Sun 29-Mar-20 23:48:37

If there is unrest it will be a minority. I don't want to die. I don't want to pass this to my parents.

BeUpStanding Sun 29-Mar-20 23:48:55

It is a total headfuck I agree OP

Soph7777 Sun 29-Mar-20 23:49:00

I don't want to be a troublemaker or sound like that's what I'm being but I really feel like I'm living in a movie that I didn't ask to be cast in.

Randomschoolworker19 Sun 29-Mar-20 23:49:08

You do realise there would be riots and civil unrest on a scale never seen in this country if the government refused to give us back our freedom once this is all over?

WorraLiberty Sun 29-Mar-20 23:49:21

Look at the death toll in Italy and you might feel a bit more grateful our government is trying to control this.

MayTheGodsBeEverInYourFavour Sun 29-Mar-20 23:49:56

I'd rather have my freedom temporarily restricted than my life painfully shortened.

Soph7777 Sun 29-Mar-20 23:51:19

@WorraLiberty I understand lives are being lost.

But the living need to be thought about too.

Why when anyone complains do people remind me of the deaths?

I know people are dying and it's very sad.

That Doesn't mean we discard the human rights and mental well-being of the living.

Giraffey1 Sun 29-Mar-20 23:51:35

You are being asked to stay ho e, stay salve, keep others safe. It is not for ever. We all feel varying degrees of anxiety, stress and worry over all this and that is entirely understandable. No one likes the restrictions. But sometimes we have to make sacrifices - don’t you think this is one of those times?

Boireannachlaidir Sun 29-Mar-20 23:51:37

Stop being so self-centred and ridiculous. There are people without clean water to wash their hands, no roof over their heads and nothing to eat. You'll get through this but you may need to stop thinking about you for a change.

TheArchSorcererofContwaraburg Sun 29-Mar-20 23:51:51

confused Honestly, you need to see what you can do to calm yourself down.

MayTheGodsBeEverInYourFavour Sun 29-Mar-20 23:52:02

I really feel like I'm living in a movie that I didn't ask to be cast in.

How odd, I'm sure most people are really enjoying losing their jobs, income, freedom, holidays, relatives etc. hmm

SeperatedSwans Sun 29-Mar-20 23:52:03

OP it's your problem with authority not the removal of a human right. You have conflated the issues.

You don't like being told what to do, that's your problem not societies, which at this point in time the majority of society is trying to protect one another.

BenevolentEzza Sun 29-Mar-20 23:52:25

You are part of the problem.

People like you will ensure the world is totally fucked, because of your complete sense of self entitlement.

Answer me this: why are YOU and YOUR RIGHTS more important than a life of anyone else. How is any of this this actually making YOUR life more difficult?

Soph7777 Sun 29-Mar-20 23:52:24

The whole thing is iist a reminder that your life isn't truly in your control ever, at all is it?

This thread is not accepting new messages.