Talk

Advanced search

What happens if we pass the antibody test?

(68 Posts)
FaFoutis Sun 29-Mar-20 22:11:32

I have seen mention of people being able to go back to work if they have recovered from the virus, so immunity is being assumed. Or was, on that day by that person.
If we pass do we get different rules, and a certificate or similar?

PristineCondition Sun 29-Mar-20 22:14:33

You get one less ticket in the bowl for the hunger games...

Andcake Sun 29-Mar-20 22:16:37

I’d hope that My son and I would be able to at least help in some way and visit grandparents.

FaFoutis Sun 29-Mar-20 22:19:40

But we would need to prove our immune status to be able to visit and help.

This test does seem to add another level to our current dystopia.

gamerchick Sun 29-Mar-20 22:22:18

It's not immunity though is it? It's how long it lasts.

A stomach bug you can gain immunity for a short time, but it wears off. There's no way of knowing this shit yet.

Happy to be corrected though. I'm interested for obvious reasons.

TorysSuckRevokeArticle50 Sun 29-Mar-20 22:23:01

The thing is, even if you are immune you can still be a carrier and every time you touch anything you risk picking up and passing on the virus.

Postspecific Sun 29-Mar-20 22:24:16

I wonder if you’ll know the level of immunity. My gut feeling is that those who have been silent carriers might not have the same level of immunity as those that have fought really hard to get it out of their system.

Justajot Sun 29-Mar-20 22:25:39

Presumably it won't distinguish between those who are currently infected and asymptomatic and those who are recovered. So I'm not quite sure what you could do with the information.

squiglet111 Sun 29-Mar-20 22:27:54

Germany are going to give out immunity certificates or something like that. So hopefully UK follows suit once there are tests available!

Mumblechum0 Sun 29-Mar-20 22:28:16

I'd love to know this too. DH and I have had full blown, knocked our socks off, feeling like we were going to die (well actually that was just him really), symptoms, so logically we must have built up antibodies or it would have killed us.

I'd love to know for sure whether that means that we're actually immune, but I have no clue to what extent, or for how long........

FaFoutis Sun 29-Mar-20 22:29:32

That's true Torys. So hand washing would still be the rule.

Every time I have seen the experts asked this question on TV they seem to believe in immunity. For at least this year, or two years I think I saw recently.

Yes Post viral load might come into it.

The antibody test was supposed to be coming in this week, they must plan to do something with it. A million of us randomly chosen I think.

WotnoPasta Sun 29-Mar-20 22:30:19

DH is high risk. I think we would just be a little less scared if we’d had it

FaFoutis Sun 29-Mar-20 22:31:53

Liking the sound of German certificates, I hadn't heard that.

MowzersAsleep Sun 29-Mar-20 22:32:40

There's no way of knowing this shit yet

This is what worries me sad

Postspecific Sun 29-Mar-20 22:33:36

I think we may have had it (no cough whatsoever but headache, crazy aches, exhaustion and breathlessness) but only mildly. It seems to present so many different ways.

FaFoutis Sun 29-Mar-20 22:33:39

There is a lot of fear, this test might help many people.

LonerGirl Sun 29-Mar-20 22:35:37

I don’t even know what to think, at every press conference the same thing is asked & said. “Testing will start in the next few days” everytime. So when is it starting exactly

Lenny1980 Sun 29-Mar-20 22:36:39

@Justajot I think it takes a while to develop the antibodies so I think there would be a difference to someone currently infected. I’m sure I’ve read that somewhere.

FaFoutis Sun 29-Mar-20 22:38:31

The last I heard (last week) the government had ordered lots of antibody tests from different companies. They were being checked for accuracy then a pilot scheme of the one million randoms was going out in the post via Amazon. Of course, all this might have changed by now.

FaFoutis Sun 29-Mar-20 22:40:44

Also - they might want plasma from those with antibodies.

TorysSuckRevokeArticle50 Sun 29-Mar-20 22:42:15

I'm Also slightly concerned about how the tests would be used if they end up being about to provide self test kits.

Imagine if being able to go back to work and earn a wage required a test saying you have immunity.

How many people would find a way to fake a positive test if they are broke?

If it really would just be a matter of pricking your finger onto a test pad and getting a line like a pregnancy test, then how would the result be assured, would everyone take a video of themselves doing the test, will there be some kind of biometric/ID number that links it to an individual?

Lots more information needed.

Eyewhisker Sun 29-Mar-20 22:43:47

The German virologists who have developed the antibody test have tested them for immunity. They injected apes with the virus , the apes got sick and then better and we’re found to have antibodies. They then injected the same apes with a massive dose and they were fine. So yes, there does appear to be immunity.

FlamingoAndJohn Sun 29-Mar-20 22:45:23

Let’s say that they tested everyone.
Would they then say to the people who had the antibodies that they can go back to work and get on with their lives and everyone else had to stay at home?
There would still be a huge problem with staff shortages.

FaFoutis Sun 29-Mar-20 22:46:31

Good news eye.

I wonder if this might just have a statistical aim - that they just want numbers for their modelling? We might not get our results.

FaFoutis Sun 29-Mar-20 22:47:51

There would Flamingo and huge inequality of rights.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »