Talk

Advanced search

The virus is NOT airborne - WHO

(246 Posts)
TheReelSlimShady Sat 28-Mar-20 19:53:55

So the WHO have officially stated that the virus is NOT airborne as has been stated many times :

twitter.com/WHO/status/1243972193169616898

Their recommendation is to keep 1 metre apart , not 2 metres as many countries have been using (including in the UK).

Does this change anything? I guess it may calm the anxiety of picking up the virus when out and about doing exercise if someone gets a bit too close, or in the supermarket.

CrapTVAddict Sat 28-Mar-20 19:55:58

I don't believe it's not airborne. I know I'm not a scientist but the way this has spread makes me question it is.

PicsInRed Sat 28-Mar-20 19:58:15

They're full of shit.

HoffiCoffi13 Sat 28-Mar-20 19:59:42

Why would they lie about it? They’re trying to stop the spread of it, not encourage people to get too close and spread it further.

MoonBaby1 Sat 28-Mar-20 20:00:25

The WHO are lying and full of shit?! hmm

I for one am relieved.

ineedaholidaynow Sat 28-Mar-20 20:00:32

Does that mean we are picking it from surfaces?

HoffiCoffi13 Sat 28-Mar-20 20:01:02

Yes from surfaces. And from people spraying droplets through coughs/sneezes/talking.

Selfsettling3 Sat 28-Mar-20 20:04:38

Is the 2m away not so you are less likely to be covered in other people’s droplet?

Forza14 Sat 28-Mar-20 20:05:20

We need to be clear about what they are saying.

The virus can be propelled through the air, via coughs and sneezes, but doesn’t live in the air.

The measles virus is so infectious because it becomes aerosolized - it can live in the air for a long time.

The air in the rooms of COVID-19 patients didn’t have virus in it.

This is good news. Avoid coughing/sneezing people and wash your hands after touching surfaces.

CrapTVAddict Sat 28-Mar-20 20:07:47

If the virus is spread mainly by people touching surfaces then why after it spread in China when it was recommended washing hands all the time has it still rocketed in Italy, Spain etc when people had more knowledge of the virus and how it was spread etc.?

TheReelSlimShady Sat 28-Mar-20 20:08:03

I don't believe it's not airborne. I know I'm not a scientist but the way this has spread makes me question it is.

I'll stick to listening to, ya know, actual scientists with actual expertise? FFS.

Is the 2m away not so you are less likely to be covered in other people’s droplet?

I agree, I do wonder if though that the WHO saying 1 metre might make people complacent when 2 metres would be a better safety margin.

TheGreyInThisCity Sat 28-Mar-20 20:08:07

I know I'm not a scientist but

hmm

Forza14 Sat 28-Mar-20 20:09:07

Because washing hands all the time & social distancing REDUCES infection rates, doesn’t eliminate them.

JaneJeffer Sat 28-Mar-20 20:09:06

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/two-metres-not-enough-when-social-distancing-39083182.html

TheReelSlimShady Sat 28-Mar-20 20:10:11

If the virus is spread mainly by people touching surfaces then why after it spread in China when it was recommended washing hands all the time has it still rocketed in Italy, Spain etc when people had more knowledge of the virus and how it was spread etc.?

Was there not some argument that Italians / Spaniards are quite affectionate in their greetings and that may have allowed spread from being so close to people? I'm not entirely convinced by the argument, and haven't seen any solid data to back it up, but happy to be corrected.

SpeedofaSloth Sat 28-Mar-20 20:11:27

Current PHE guidance on infection control agrees that it is droplet transmission. Droplets can become aerosolised during some clinical procedures and so that's when FFP3s are required, but only then. In my Trust's current PPE guidelines I'd you are 1 metre away from the patient and there is not one of those procedures going on, no respiratory protection is necessary. Same with flu.

Grobagsforever Sat 28-Mar-20 20:11:27

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ToTheWindow Sat 28-Mar-20 20:11:36

Good to hear. One thing I am terrified about when doing my essential shopping in breathing the same air as someone with COVID and picking it up that way

HoffiCoffi13 Sat 28-Mar-20 20:12:26

CrapTVAddict why would the WHO lie? Their job is to prevent the spread of disease, not encourage us all to engage in dangerous practices that would lead to increased incidence.
I’ve seen your post about being scared to open your window.
Do you have anxiety issues?

TheReelSlimShady Sat 28-Mar-20 20:12:27

Thanks @SpeedofaSloth , that's interesting to know!

CrapTVAddict Sat 28-Mar-20 20:12:29

Therealslimshady is this not a discussion board where people can post their thoughts or opinions?

LaurieMarlow Sat 28-Mar-20 20:12:57

Jesus, randomers on the internet think they have a clearer view on this than the WHO? Ffs. confused

This is useful info. It makes me concerned at the potency of the virus on surfaces, because I’m willing to bet most people didn’t get this because they were sneezed on.

Marieo Sat 28-Mar-20 20:13:10

2m is probably sensible though as it allows a margin of error, if the guidance was 1m no doubt people would be getting a lot closer.

HoffiCoffi13 Sat 28-Mar-20 20:14:19

* If the virus is spread mainly by people touching surfaces then why after it spread in China when it was recommended washing hands all the time has it still rocketed in Italy, Spain etc when people had more knowledge of the virus and how it was spread etc.?*

Because people often don’t do what they’re supposed to do.
Because it’s hard to tell young children not to touch their faces after touching surfaces, and children are super spreaders.

CrapTVAddict Sat 28-Mar-20 20:14:47

Grobag I could say the same to you that people who are rude and abusive and think they are being witty don't deserve the internet either.
People can post opinions or discuss without being rude, you should try it

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »