Talk

Advanced search

What to do about routine appointment?

(14 Posts)
Hippydoodledoo8 Thu 26-Mar-20 23:35:25

I have an MRI scan Booked for Monday. I’m assuming it’s cancelled but haven’t had a cancellation text like usual...

It’s non-urgent anyway but I’m just wondering what to do. Ring and check it’s cancelled? Assume and not turn up? I don’t want to take up space on phone lines so was wondering if anyone had been in the same position.

therewerefour Thu 26-Mar-20 23:36:47

As far as I've been made aware routine appointments are going ahead and you should attend. If you want to cancel under the circumstances I think that's understandable but you need to tell them.

Tinty Thu 26-Mar-20 23:37:26

If it is a routine MRI, I would cancel, you don’t want to be anywhere near a hospital unless you have to be.

Namechangervaver Thu 26-Mar-20 23:38:21

It makes no sense to not want to take up space on the phone lines, because if you don't turn up when they're expecting you it will cause more disruption than anything!

Namechangervaver Thu 26-Mar-20 23:39:36

I didn't know there was such a thing as a routine MRI. I'd imagine they're really expensive

playthestation Thu 26-Mar-20 23:41:40

As far as I've been made aware routine appointments are going ahead and you should attend.

I think it must depend where you are. Both DH and I have had routine appointments cancelled.

OP I would cancel even if your trust hasn't. The risk is hospital is huge.

playthestation Thu 26-Mar-20 23:42:56

I didn't know there was such a thing as a routine MRI.

It's not a routine MRI. It's a routine appointment for an MRI. So non emergency.

iwantavuvezela Thu 26-Mar-20 23:43:43

You will be informed if it’s not on, go to the appointment, but you won’t be able to take anyone with you into the hospital. My husband has to have frequent appointments and any that are cancelled or moved to telephone of conversations, he has been informed. So if you have not heard anything that suggests it’s cancelled then go,
Good luck with your scan

TheJoyofBeingSingle Fri 27-Mar-20 00:02:43

Not the same as an MRI at all but I had a smear test booked and it was cancelled. I had been told that they were still carrying out routine apts not withstanding the virus so was geared up to go - but I was only notified on the morning by telephone just as I was about to leave. I got the impression they were going through the lists daily. This was before lockdown though. It was cancelled because of the 2m rule which won't apply to an MRI.

I think it depends on what your MRI is for - if it's for a suspected brain or lung tumour, then go and hope it's still happening; if it's to see if you have torn some ligaments, then it can wait.

Jollitwiglet Fri 27-Mar-20 00:06:09

I would phone and double check. Missing an appointment would waste more time than a quick phone call to ask

Absentwomen Fri 27-Mar-20 00:13:17

I had an MRI yesterday morning. I called the day before and was told that were anything to change, they would contact me. I was not contacted and the appointment was carried out.

Historyofeverything1 Fri 27-Mar-20 00:27:32

I would call and ask but not till the day before everything is changing so quickly I had an appointment tomorrow was told this morning it was definitely on, an hour later asked if I could come in earlier (in order to space patients out). Then two hours later told its cancelled until further notice.

Hippydoodledoo8 Fri 27-Mar-20 09:07:41

Thanks everyone for the replies. I know it seems silly not to want to call, I just assumed everything non urgent would be cancelled and they’d be over-run with enquiries.
My GP surgery is no longer doing in person appointments and hasn’t been for a few weeks now, so before lockdown.
The scan is for a vein problem I have, my consultant has me having MRI’s to check size etc so he can operate (it’s near a main artery so risky surgery). The actual problem with the vein as it stands isn’t life threatening or anything, so non urgent and I’ve heard of people with cancer etc having their appointments cancelled, so I didn’t think mine would be going ahead.

I will ring and cancel, I don’t want to go to a hospital in these circumstances and have been self isolating before lockdown due to DS having symptoms. Although the 14 days is now past.

Hippydoodledoo8 Fri 27-Mar-20 09:08:47

@Historyofeverything1 that would make it Sunday for me. I don’t think the MRI department are open then?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »