Talk

Advanced search

Another shared custody one, sorry

(12 Posts)
Coronaquery Thu 26-Mar-20 20:06:00

Hi

I’m currently self isolating with DC due to us both having a cough (I don’t actually think it’s CV but we’re following the guidelines). After the self isolation period expires WIBU to keep DC with me?

I have been following the social distancing guidelines and I’m lucky that I’ve been able to wfh. The only person I’ve been in contact with is DC.

Ex is spending time with his girlfriend and providing wraparound care for her DC on some days as she is a key worker and her children are attending school. Ex has access to his own house as they don’t live together full time.

By sending DC to spend time with their father, I’m increasing the risk of DC being exposed to the virus and it being brought into our house and possibly passed on further if I go to the supermarket prior to any symptoms, for example.

I tried broaching this subject pre-lockdown and was met with hostility. There is no court order in place.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this is similar to something that’s previously been posted

Coronaquery Thu 26-Mar-20 23:04:22

Hopeful bump? sad

CalleighDoodle Thu 26-Mar-20 23:06:22

Boris said children Re fine to travel to other parent, so you wouldnt have much argument.

I wouldnt like it though.
How did your ex respond to you saying you both had symptoms?

ZombieFan Thu 26-Mar-20 23:07:47

So you are using the virus to stop your children from seeing their father. That is pretty cruel!

clpsmum Thu 26-Mar-20 23:10:39

Don't be ridiculous she is not using the virus to stop her children seeing their father she is trying to protect her DC. OP I don't blame you if there is no court order you have every right to do what you think is in your child's best interest if he doesn't like it let him take you to court

clpsmum Thu 26-Mar-20 23:11:58

And I don't understand how children are ok to split their time when everybody else has to isolate. I really don't understand it. I know it's hard for all involved to miss out on access but surely win FaceTime etc it's safer to be in one place like everybody else is supposed to be

PinkCrayon Thu 26-Mar-20 23:15:27

I am with clpsmum here, I don't agree with it.
His girlfriend is a keyworker and her kids are going to school too much risk there for me, we should all be doing our bit to minimise the spread.

ZombieFan Thu 26-Mar-20 23:24:10

Government advise says that it is ok for a child to move between 2 parental family's.

If they are so concerned would op could consider DC self isolating with their other parent?

CovoidanceMechanism Thu 26-Mar-20 23:29:51

When figuring out these knotty dilemmas ask yourself

1. What course of action reduces the chance of transmission the most?

2. What course of action increases the ability of society, especially the NHS to give lifesaving treatment.

3. Everything else is temporarily less important.

mous Fri 27-Mar-20 00:01:47

www.judiciary.uk/coronavirus-covid-19-advice-and-guidance/

Hope this helps x

mous Fri 27-Mar-20 00:15:46

More precise link:
www.judiciary.uk/announcements/coronavirus-crisis-guidance-on-compliance-with-family-court-child-arrangement-orders/

I realise you don't have an order in place but may be helpful reading anyway.

BecauseReasons Fri 27-Mar-20 00:24:55

Hmm. I see why you're tempted but unless either of you is particularly vulnerable I don't think you've got much of a case here.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »