Talk

Advanced search

I’ve just been told off for panic buying

(87 Posts)
WhataMissMap Thu 26-Mar-20 16:47:58

I had a super market delivery 3 weeks ago. It was a large one as I had asked four other households did they want to share with my delivery.
So I had groceries for myself, family and neighbours.

Another neighbour who I don’t know has come over to remonstrate with me. I explained and I think they believe me.

I feel very awkward now. I have another delivery tomorrow and I have done the same thing again. It was all ordered a couple of weeks ago before the neighbour complained. I wonder if I should cancel?
We need the groceries as I’m in an at risk group, I have ordered items for a pregnant lady up the road and for my sister and brother who have asthma and are self isolating.

What a mess.

Doyoumind Thu 26-Mar-20 16:49:45

It's none of their business OP. Don't stress about it. You know you're not doing anything wrong. What they think doesn't matter at all.

puppymouse Thu 26-Mar-20 16:51:00

Have you checked all the items you ordered will actually arrive? DH and I couldn't order more than two items on one of the supermarket sites for our shop because they were blocking it. Luckily it was only bags of Mini Eggs grin

So it might not actually be possible to "panic buy" potentially...

NotOneToShoutOut Thu 26-Mar-20 16:53:18

I've got £400 worth of food coming Saturday. There is only 2 people in my house. Most of it is for a lady who is delivering food and supplies to the vulnerable and elderly. She has been a one women machine and amazing. I can't go out and she has been delivering to my very sick parents.

Who cares what the neighbours think.

Hannah021 Thu 26-Mar-20 16:55:37

Dont cancel
if u need to order for an elderly then thank you.
other families in different homes are maybe better sorting themselves, to avoid exposing you being high risk.

They only told you off out of care for everyone else,

armwrestler Thu 26-Mar-20 16:56:18

You've helped others so they can stay out of the shops and freed up delivery slots for other people. Hopefully your neighbour won't jump to conclusions so much now and if they do, stuff the nosy git!

Cheesypea Thu 26-Mar-20 16:58:38

Forget about the nosy neighbour op.

tulippa Thu 26-Mar-20 17:00:30

You're not panic buying so you're not doing anything wrong. Carry on as you are.

HotSauceCommittee Thu 26-Mar-20 17:02:31

Tell the neighbour to keep her nosy beak out. You really don’t have to explain yourself.

strawberry2017 Thu 26-Mar-20 17:03:13

I'm sharing our delivery slots with my parents. It makes sense to me.
They live close and my husband used his exercise time to drop the bags at their door for them.
Saves wasting lots of slots and it helps others out. X

Butterbeeeen Thu 26-Mar-20 17:03:38

I got wrong this morning for walking too close to the people in front of me. Apparently I was going to get a fine handed to me by the police men along the street who in fact where not even there. What the person telling me off didnt realise is that the people in front were in fact my DP and out DS. My DD and I just happen to walk a bit more slowly. People need to learn to mind their own business OP.

ChipotleBlessing Thu 26-Mar-20 17:03:49

A neighbour just called round to complain about a delivery you had three weeks ago? And three weeks ago you were sharing deliveries with four other families, when shops were well stocked and online delivery slots available for the same day? Uh huh.

Marieo Thu 26-Mar-20 17:04:20

I wouldn't worry, the shops set their limits and rules, it's none of their business. Yes it might affect them if they go to the shop and there's less stuff, but you know you're buying a fair amount for 3 which is fair. Plus it saves on slots.

Itsnotthatcomplicated Thu 26-Mar-20 17:04:36

A prime example of people who need to get a grip. They think by doing this is makes them better.

It would be easier for everyone if we could group deliveries.

LegoBloodyHurts Thu 26-Mar-20 17:05:09

Really? Is this what it’s coming to, people being jealous/judgmental of others for having a shop delivered shock

I hope you told them off for their non essential trip to your door to berate you

Itsnotthatcomplicated Thu 26-Mar-20 17:05:40

And honestly, dont care about someone who bothered remembering something you did 3 weeks ago and then waited to have a go.

Who cares if she believes you

CodenameVillanelle Thu 26-Mar-20 17:05:49

Would you really cancel a food delivery when they are impossible to get and you're shopping for several people just because the neighbour might judge?

Inmyivorytower Thu 26-Mar-20 17:06:15

Invite your critic to help you deliver the groceries to your neighbours.

Teateaandmoretea Thu 26-Mar-20 17:07:05

Coronavirus really has legitimised busy bodies. Ignore ignore ignore.

But log onto online shopping to check what you've ordered is still available.

Moomin8 Thu 26-Mar-20 17:07:10

This is the problem when stuff like this happens. People turn on each other.

Matildathehun77 Thu 26-Mar-20 17:11:08

What a mess.

But it isn't a "mess" at all, it's a great idea to share a delivery.... your neighbour objected but seemed to believe you so all good there (maybe include her next time?) nothing at all has really happened has it? I think you're over thinking this and need to continue your order as planned.

fussychica Thu 26-Mar-20 17:11:31

Don't cancel, you, your family and the neighbours need the supplies but I think it's unlikely you will get multiples of certain items beyond 2 or 3.
I can understand why your neighbour might think you are panic buying, especially if they have been unable to get an online slot or the shelves have been ransacked when they have gone to the supermarket. A little understanding on both sides is required here. Well done for helping others.

bellinisurge Thu 26-Mar-20 17:12:52

They can fuck off. If you are lucky enough to get a slot, it's good of you to share it with others.

MarginalGain Thu 26-Mar-20 17:13:32

This is our new normal. Sorry OP.

Cailleach1 Thu 26-Mar-20 17:17:19

You've optimised the online shop to reach more people by your one delivery when they would have to waste time and effort doing multiple shops for the same outcome. What you are doing is saving time and energy. Maybe ask the person who approached you (by text) if they will do the same and help some other people. Ask them what they are doing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »