Talk

Advanced search

How much your sixth form child is studying during school closure?

(18 Posts)
TheMotherofAllDilemmas Wed 25-Mar-20 15:26:51

The school is sending worksheets and other assignments but DS believes he can do them “later” and has gone from studying 2 hours after school to about 1 hour a day including school work.

How much is your teen studying? Especially if they plan to apply for a place in a RG university next year? Is mine ruining his chances for taking things easy?

squishedgrapes Wed 25-Mar-20 15:32:35

My yr 12 is doing an hour a day for each subject, but that really isn't enough. I think it would be better if he upped the hours, but I think his anxiety levels are big. He has ASD and needs to get into a routine, and then he'll stick to it, so I'm going to gradually increase.
He's hoping to do maths/physics at uni, his aim being Cambridge. So I'm reminding him of that every couple of days. He's ambitious, but just needs a routine
It's all quite worrying. I know he'll be devastated if he doesn't achieve his goals

squishedgrapes Wed 25-Mar-20 15:33:21

Anxiety levels are high, that should say

TheMotherofAllDilemmas Wed 25-Mar-20 15:47:18

Thank you @squishedgrapes. I thought that was the case but he obviously refuses to believe me. I’m sorry the situation us making DS anxious.

Mine has dyslexia and attention problems, having a routine is essential for him but I am really struggling to implement it when his phone and iPad are beeping all the time with friends’ requests for gaming or other distractions. He wants to study mechanical engineering so needs As and A*s but good grief, this teenage’s “I know better” is going to be his ruin.

TabbyStar Wed 25-Mar-20 15:48:17

Mine's not done much so far, maybe a couple of hours in total. She's bright, but struggles with anxiety over schoolwork so I'm expecting a bumpy ride. Anything I do makes it worse though so I leave her to ask me. One of her teachers is sick though, one providing great resources and support and the other fairly mediocre. There's going to be such disparity of teaching and home support that they're going to have to allow for it in exams. I don't think there's any ideal solution.

zen1 Wed 25-Mar-20 15:52:44

Mine is doing all work set virtually by teachers (not that much tbh), but no extra study. He also has ASD and rarely worked at home under normal circumstances as can’t motivate himself.

MargotsLine Wed 25-Mar-20 16:02:18

My son's sixth form is very organised so everything they would normally put online for work is being put online. Ds is doing 4 A levels and he is very motivated. He can get through the work at a good pace so isn't doing more than 3 hours a day of school work.

He is up at 7am showered, dressed, breakfast and starts school work at 8.30am which is when I start teaching year 9 Ds2 History from a work booklet provided by school. Luckily Ds1 also did History so this is easy for me.

Ds1's first choice uni is Cambridge and he needs to keep his A* grades going. Plus he is teaching himself a new song on the guitar grin and doing other academic stuff not set by school. He loves learning.

Fortyfifty Wed 25-Mar-20 16:03:53

My y12 is sticking to her usual timetable but not doing anything in the evenings so appx. 15 hours. Her 6th form teachers are teaching remotely via Ms Teams or at least setting work and being avaliable during those times for queries. About half the kids aren't bothering to 'turn up' to the online lessons. I'm super impressed with her 6th form and Dd would have been anxious without their ongoing support.

Theyrecomingtotakemeawayhaha Wed 25-Mar-20 16:54:47

Mine hasn't stopped but she is doing art and wants to get on with her final project but can't without access to workshops.
They have set up team share and given all studentsaccess to office and adobe and some special arty things that I don't understand.
All students have been contacted by their personal tutor.
So it's good but will be challenging if this goes on into the next academic year.

TheHumansAreDefinitelyDead Wed 25-Mar-20 16:58:19

At my y12’s college they are sticking to the normal time table

So DS has to log in and do the lessons. Maths and Further maths are teacher talk+ worksheets. His physics teacher sets work and shows relevant YouTube vids

They are still teaching the curriculum as planned.

I think he does a bit less work than normal

TheMotherofAllDilemmas Wed 25-Mar-20 20:17:18

Thank you, it is quite an eye opener, and Thanks for giving me some numbers to convince DS he needs to do more. We agreed that he needed to catch up with the school assignments today if he wanted me to stop pestering him.

I think he has realised it was more work than he expected, he has been at it for almost 4 hours.

MaddieElla Wed 25-Mar-20 20:21:07

DD working as much as she would at school, including set work and note taking/revision. She has to as she goes off to work in a pharmacy for the late afternoon/evening.

She would go mad not doing anything all day. But she's managing to get through a few episodes of Miranda

MabelChiltern1 Wed 25-Mar-20 23:16:05

Nothing!

BlessYourCottonSocks Thu 26-Mar-20 00:00:47

If it helps I'm an A level teacher and my Y12s and Y10s are the ones I'm concerned about. They really need to set themselves a minimum of working 9-12 every day I would say...and then if they can bear it, maybe an hour each evening.
It's hard studying an A level alone with minimum teacher input. But those who don't keep it up will end up repeating a year or failing their exams if not careful. You can't wing it with little work at this level and I'd be surprised if schools were back before June...maybe even September.

BlessYourCottonSocks Thu 26-Mar-20 00:03:28

Sorry..to answer questions they can kiss their RG place goodbye if they start falling behind now.

TabbyStar Thu 26-Mar-20 06:33:21

* Sorry..to answer questions they can kiss their RG place goodbye if they start falling behind now.*

Though there's got to be some sort of adjustment surely to take into account some kids will lack technology, or be looking after siblings so parents can bring in money, or are living in chaotic households. I can't see they can run normal exams or admissions processes.

TheMotherofAllDilemmas Thu 26-Mar-20 16:58:29

There will be adjustments for Y13 but I suspect very much that Y12 would have some sort of mocks in September to evaluate how advanced they are and get predicted grades, obviously, the ones that kept studying on their own would be the ones that get the better marks. The other ones, I suppose that would need to find some comfort on the fact that many would get as bad grades as them and hopefully universities lowering standard offers.

pocketem Thu 26-Mar-20 17:02:09

* I am really struggling to implement it when his phone and iPad are beeping all the time with friends’ requests for gaming or other distractions*

It's a crazy suggestion, I know, but have you considered taking the phone and iPad off him until he has done his schoolwork?
He wouldn't be allowed them at school

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »